1987 toyota supra

Asked by Jun 30, 2011 at 12:56 PM about the 1987 Toyota Supra

over heating

245

put coolant in it...

505

A vehicle's cooling system is somewhat simple. A rather visibel part is the radiator. This radiator is under pressure to increase the boiling point of the liquid and to avoid rust developing in exposed areas. There is a radiator cap with a set pressure that vents, or transfers, liquid to a clear reservoir. The reservoir has a cold and hot levels. Fluid is added at this reservoir when it indicates low when the motor is cold. There is a thermostat that blocks fluid running thru the engine block. This brings the motor to operating temperature quicker. There are hoses connecting all these parts. Then there are parts that bring hot air into the the inside of the vehicle. Now, then, if your car is overheating and it is 24 years old, there could many things causing that: a bad thermostat, low coolant levels (several reasons for that condition), a worn water pump (sorry, left that out. The vanes or impelers in the pump wear out with use) or even a bad radiator cap. Also the radiator could be rusted or damaged or blocked for several reasons. The fluid actually must be changed out every 3 to 4 years as it deteriorates and looses effectiveness. In any case, I suggest a mechanic give this vehicle a look so that the specific cause of the overheat be determined. It is a long shot but brake problems, sticking, rubbing, or other issues, may be causing the motor to overwork. It is a long shot but every possibility must be looked at. OK? Sorry for your troubles and good luck.