How good are 87 supra's?

Asked by May 02, 2010 at 10:26 PM about the 1987 Toyota Supra

Someone wants to trade their 87 for my 99 suburban, it has 248k on odometer but only 4,000 on engine and tranny. Its been garage stored. Would this be a good deal?

55

The Mark 3 supras are good cars, NA versions put out around 200 hp so theres plenty of poke available, if its a turbo you're looking around 230 hp. These cars are generally reliable, I've had 2 of em in the past and I've never had much trouble. Values for late 80's model depends on condition, condition b around 1000 up to 3000 for a immaculate, pay up to 500 for good but basket case materail

15

ahahahaha yeah there ok just dont go the 7mge or the 7mgte BHG lol sorry my 7m brothers

95

Regarding the 7MGTE ... good engine, just poor head design. They can be made reliable with a metal head gasket, and some ARP head studs installed, and torqued correctly. Don't let anyone tell you the 7MGTE is a bad engine ... it's great actually. I have a Mk4 Supra with a 2JZGTE, and it's obviously a better design but ... there's nothing wrong with the 7M.

10

i agree with Stephen, Poor head design, but, really good cars.