repair MR2

Asked by Feb 23, 2010 at 04:29 PM about the 1986 Toyota MR2

i've had this car to two different mechanics so far and it's slowly costing a small fortune. It turns over but will not start. "check Engine light never came on, and should have (according to mechanic). They both say it is electrical, but can't locate it. Are there any problems similar to this, in this car's history or just an age thing ? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

65

well, you need to test and see if you are getting spark, check the engine timing as well as the ignition timing (distributor). Also check for any bad wires and spray all contacts down with cleaner. check the TPS as well but I'm betting it's something to do with your ignition system. How old is everything? might also want to check your compression as well.

30

have you done any work to it yourself? if so. what? there are relays on the driver side that get corossion and the fuel pump will not operate, i would suggest puling out all relays one at a time and plugging them in several times to ensure a good connection. also remove ground wire from batt to transmission and clean connections, that one will drive you nuts till u find it! i know! thats why im telling you

30

also toyotas are very forgiving as far as sensor problems, you can unplug an oxygen sensor and run fine indeffinitely with no check engine light, you cannot use that as an indicator or the shop is gonna screw you cus they dont know! i do u can contact me at toyojunkie@hotmail.com and i will gladly help as much as i can

30

that is a good point, but very unlikely, ive only had one 4ag distributor fail and it was an oil seal prob, tps will not cause a no start condition on toyota. it sounds like fuel pressure issue to me, but what do i know? im not a mechanic, i just play one in real life lol plus i own three of these awesome cars

65

well, he can check the fuel pump by jumping two terminals at the AFM. I'm not trying to step on your toes here but what I meant was that the distributor screws could have come loose and the timing could have shifted not the seal failing. The reason I pointed out electrical issues was because those little problems can cause some weird things to happen. I think he needs to test his fuel pump then test the rest of his ignition system. I'm not a mechanic by profession but would like to be. I've rebuilt 3 4age's and restored my current one. Again, I'm not trying to step on anyone's toes here just putting in my 2 cents.

30

oh no prob man! i understand, but if it was a sudden prob, i would go for the fusebox/ relay station, ive had problems with mine not starting due to corrosion on the relay terminals, and main ground, you do make a good point tho

50

Hey Todd I have an 85 MR2 that is acting up. My dash lights quit working a couple of months ago. My speedometer works every other day. My headlights went off while I was driving it 3 weeks ago , and suddenly came back on as I was pulling over..Now the BRAKE light, Battery light and the TEMP GAGUE keep flashing, then go off, and pop back on 10 minutes later. I think I might have a short somewhere? where would you advise me to start first ?.... thanks in advance...my email is cervin7@centurylink.net