I'm thinking about giving my car a little more kick so I was just wondering if a Lotus Exige engine would fit?

35

Asked by Feb 20, 2007 at 10:57 PM about the 1986 Toyota MR2

The trunk can be tooken out for space since this car will be used for racing. It's either that or I twincharge the original 4AGE engine.

14,920

Hello CorvetteC6R-- I have seen handy mechanics do all kinds of engine swaps. According to Tom Fahy, head man at the Newton Street Garage in Brighton, Ma., as long as you have the room and can match up the engine mounts and transmission, go right ahead and make the change in your 1986 Toyota MR2. You will have to customize the wiring yourself. Let Tom and I know how you do. Good luck from Bovan.

35

You have 4AGE? no need to use a exige engine. Get the second gen MR2 Turbo engine( the famous 3S-GTE),can do over 400whp with mods.

25

I believe that the lotus uses a Toyota engine anyway.I don't think that it should be much more difficult than a straight forward engine swap.

195

Lotus use rover K-series engine. Very different engine mounts and pretty much everything else. Use 4AGE with the quad throttles or, as suggested, 3S-GTE from MR2 turbo/Celica GT-Four

15

3SGTEs in to AW11s are tough as shit. I say you upgrade to a 4AGZE and work from there.

75

Current Elises and Exiges use a Toyota 2ZZGE or 1ZZFE depending on which sub-model/market the car was made for. They stopped using Rovers in 2005 when the motors became unavailable.