1985 corvette

Asked by Mar 03, 2013 at 08:58 PM about the 1985 Chevrolet Corvette

Can a person take off the smog pump and cat converter? Thanks. Jim  martha_mccormick@yahoo.com

8,585

Phy6sicall, it is possible. However, the car will not be legal on the road in most states and all provinces. Also, if a 'sniffer' car goes by the readings will be high enough to find yourself pulled over, and on the receiving end of a ticket for inoperative or missing emissions control equipment.

68,495

Plus your car was designed to run at optimum efficiency with these devices installed. HTH -Jim

8,585

Jim, the emission controls on an 85 Corvette were pretty primitive. It can be adjusted to run just fine, and likely with better horsepower and fuel economy, without the air pump and catalytic converter. Cats back then, especially the G.M. square ones, were terrible for restriction. If you want to keep the car legal, most places, you can replace that single cat with a pair of good tubular high flow cats, and get the performance and fuel economy but without the risk of the very heft fine, and in certain places, having your car impounded.

99,135

Check your state laws. New York is very strict but after 25 years, those items can be removed since they can not be repaired or replaced. -- The smog pump is a waste anyways. It just pumps clean air into the exhaust pipe so that the output is cleaner. It's like diluting a bucket of sewage with a swimming pool full of clean water. The catalytic converter had no feedback - no O2 sensors. Many of them had the internals removed and the empty can left in place for inspections. -- Check your laws. It's not as if you're using a '85 Vette as a daily driver.

68,495

In NJ emissions is the only thing they check. No matter how old the car is if you don't have antique tags it must pass emissions. Your car can have it's wheels falling off but if it passes emissions, you're good to go. -Jim

15

i by passed the belt with shorter belt till i could get the part,was with out power steering for a week mine went out in2009

Thank you all, you were helpful and I appreciate you getting back to me. Jhim