4M performance

5

Asked by Dec 01, 2010 at 11:10 AM about the 1979 Toyota Cressida

I recently bought a 79 Cressie from San Diego and drove it back to Albuquerque.  
Power was lacking and fuel economy was worse (13mpg).  After connecting a few
vacuum lines and a tune up, there's only a slight improvement.  At 57K original
miles it is a looker, but I know it isn't up to the 115 HP it should have.  Heck, it
won't even rev past 4400 rpm  and at that there's NO power. Any ideas?

185

sounds to me like the carb might be out of tune, or the timing is off. It is a carb on these cars right? I can't remember, if it's fuel injected it might be gummed up injectors, or for that matter it could be a clogged fuel filter be it carbed or injected, sorry I couldn't be of more help

5

Thanks for the response, Charlie. The carb is clean and working well with proper level and no manifold leaks and the fuel filter is brand new. PCV system is fnctioningto specs and the emission system components I've checked so far are all good. What do you think about perhaps a restricted catalytic converter? Is there a test, or should I just remove and inspect. That seems to be a good reason it won't rev past 4400 rpm. Thanks again for the input

185

It can't hurt to take out the cat, I'd give that a shot

5

I had the cat removed and it was LOADED with carbon. Even the muffler was loaded. replaced both and power is better, but still not great. It seems to be running quite rich. The insulators on the plugs are a nice beige color, but the electrodes are black and sooty. Maybe it's the carb. Passed emissions, though. Will post more as I learn more.

185

Awesome, feedback rocks. Thank you