vacum hose system

Asked by Aug 18, 2010 at 05:19 AM about the 1987 Toyota Cressida

everytime i stop my car cuts of while idiling...i was to that this has something to do with my vacum hoses

20

my 87 has/had the same issue. It could be a problem with your air intake... clean the thick intake tubes coming from your air filter and leading to the fuel injectors thoroughly... foreign bodies in this system can cause poor idling. The person you spoke to was probably referring to a vacuum leak. The air intake is meant to be a closed system. If there is any sort of tear or whole in any of the hoses, the system is no longer closed. When you remove the tubes and hoses to clean them, inspect for surface holes/tears. My problem fixed itself hugely when i started using fuel with a higher octane level... try filling up with premium instead of regular and see if there is a difference. this is a good guide if you have the tools, time and patience to run through it. http://www.2carpros.com/first_things/why_does_my_engine_die_stall_at_idle.htm

The rubber air intake hose that goes from your air cleaner to your throttle chamber may have a crack in it. You need a good seal to make sure that there is not too much air getting into the fuel injector. This happened to me and a trip to my local junk yard produced a new air intake hose and no more problems.