is the fuel tank Toyota corolla 1985 AE82R vented or not

20

Asked by Nov 01, 2015 at 01:44 AM about the 1985 Toyota Corolla

My model does not have a charcoal canister. South Africa model. There is a large pressure escape when opening the filler cap. The cap is a solid bayonet type.The problem is that on  manily very hot days there is a irregular engine hiccup/splutter, which  I suspect to be as a cause of the pressure build up in the tank. Why does the filler neck have a bypass port, which seems to go back into the tank. The diagrams I am able to get from the internet are not very revealing.

68,655

Here in the U.S. in the days before EVAP systems (charcoal canisters) were required gas tanks had either a vent tube or vented gas cap. The vent tube was usually on the front of the tank with a rubber hose that directed the gasoline vapors away from the passenger's compartment and the hot exhaust system. They can sometimes get clogged with dirt from the road. HTH. -Jim

20

thanks JIm. I have been told once that the tank is to be pressurised but don't quite understand what for. It has a mechanical fuel pump. I am no car guru but just trying to apply my common sense. The part blow-ups are not very clear or helpful either. My mom bought the car in 1985 so its been in in one hand.

68,655

You're welcome. Glad to help. To test your theory you can try driving with the gas cap removed. For a short time only. If the sputtering goes away then it's definitely gas tank related. You may also have a fuel return line. This is a fuel line that returns some gasoline to the tank to keep the gas cool in hot weather conditions. It helps prevent vapor lock. HTH. -Jim

It does have a return system, The first Toyota to have a returnless system was 1996 http://www.underhoodservice.com/point-of-no-return-returnless-fuel-injection-systems/