brakes

Asked by Aug 28, 2016 at 03:12 PM about the 1990 Chevrolet Corvette

I don't  have  any  brakes , What  do  I  need  to  repair  them ?

1,415

my advice to you is to find a specialist qualified technician to diagnose your automobiles malfunctioning brakes

47,865

Experience, tools and ability.

12,445

On a vintage vehicle (26 yrs old) overhaul the entire system. Purchase everything kitted and save. Don't patch an old system.

14,365

To really answer your question. Money. And if you want to do it yourself, get the better parts, don't scrimp because it is less expensive. There is also top end that the cost is through the roof. You will need a full set of wrenches, jack and jack blocks to hold the vehicle off the ground. A good bleeder kit, new calipers, voters, pads, even consider new bolts, good bleeder kit, top break fluid, new cables if the others look like they are tired or worn, if the master cylinder is original, on a 26 year old vehicle, get a new one. For someone that know what he is doing, it is a two to three hour job. A novice doing it the first time, all day. If you have any doubts, it will cost a lot of money but go to an experienced garage. Make sure they understand, you want top quality equipment, not average "China made crap". If you spend a lot of money and get into a situation and the breaks fail due to cheap junk, you will really be upset you cut corners. If you do it yourself, it would be will worth the money to have the expert shop check the work. Do research on how to, Watch a ton of u-tube do it yourself videos. Go for it. the Corvette you save is your own.

125

I rebuilt most things on my Corvettes brakes, pads, rotors, and calipers and I've found Power Stop makes a good quality brakes and parts. Like the guy above said watch a lot of YouTube videos before you start. However I would never try to rebuilt or repair brake lines, there's a lot to the lines, valves, electronic controls, etc. and a small mistake can be costly. A problem with the lines I take to the shop.