My 1985 Camry hesitates at 40kph

20

Asked by May 03, 2013 at 12:20 PM about the 1985 Toyota Camry

Hello, when I try to gently accelerete at 40 kph or so, my 1985 Camry stutters. This car is very well maintained - but I can't solve the problem. There is around 160,000 K on the car.

Thanks!!!

if we could connect to a diagnostic scanner and have your onboard computer tell us what's up, would be most appreciated---gonna have to say it's a matter of where man meets computer, tps...only a guess...need more data...thank you...look forward to hearing what is goin' on here...you can get this info for free from any of the major auto parts stores~

please tell the gurus what the onboard computer is telling you...thank you very much...our team of guys will be on it like mustard on a Reuben~

kph....leads me to wonder if you are a Canadian...or European?

in other words it couldn't possibly be the California aggressive EGR device what lays waste to performance when it's bad~

20

Thanks for responding - I'll try to get a diagnostic done. In the mean time, the car is Canadian and we've changed the fuel filter (at the engine), also the high tension wires, distributer cap, rotor, and the spark plugs. The problem is most noticeable in traffic - at 30 mph or so. Could it be the injection system? How about the fuel filter in the tank? Many thanks!!!

Yay,,,aina?

DavidH25 is the toyota man who'd instantly know if the filter is in the tank, I know there is a screen to keep the boulders out, but there is a can filter inline the main flow, as I recall.~

...eh we don't need him---digging in...as I suspected...can type.~

This one still has a distributor...check the vacuum advance to see if the weights inside (if there on this model) springs are okay, and the bellows what actuates isn't leaking and the vacuum hoses which should have been switched to silicone by now are free of leaks~

20

You gurus are the best!!! I've passed the info on to my 79 year-old father-in-law who has owned and maintained the car since new. He'll try new vacuum advance hoses first - as well as the weights / springs / bellows.

65

Don't drive the car at 40 Kph seems the logical solution.