1987 corvette electrical problem

Asked by May 11, 2010 at 12:01 AM about the 1987 Chevrolet Corvette

my 87 vette runs great, but I have a draw on the battery I can't find. After two days my battery dies also when this started happening my gas guage was affected with false readings. My thinking is a short at starter, like to get some heads-up.
                                                                                                    thanks

45

I THINK THE SHORT WILL BE FOUND IN THE DASH.THE DIGITAL DASH IS NOTORIOUS FOR THIS.TAKE IT OUT AND HAVE IT REPAIRED,IT'S LIKE A MOTHERBOARD, ALL ONE PIECE UNIT.

135

My 88 was doing this, it was the radio. What you really need to do to find out is start pulling one fuse at a time, completing the circuit with a multi-meter to find which circuit is the parasitic draw.

465

I think both Ken and Tavis are on the right track here, digital anything translates to "PAIN IN THE ASS"!! I remember a friend had a similar problem it turned out to be the digital click in the dash. Your problem could be any wire back there causing this short,checking each fuse one by one could just be the fastest way to a solutiion. And good luck!!

50

I am having same issues with my 1987, I have moved each fuse one at a time and the draw is still there, I also sanded and cleaned each ground mount. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

my 87 dash lights keep blowing the fuse, last time I got smoke, also has a battery draw