87 toyota camry turns over will not start. A friend bypassed a relay on the drivers side under the hood it ran. Got a new one but did not work

Asked by Feb 18, 2016 at 04:37 PM about the 1987 Toyota Camry

87 toyota camry turns over will not start. A friend bypassed a relay on the
drivers side under the hood it ran. Got a new one but did not work. Is there a
common camry problem that I may have or will someone put me on the rite
track as starting from point A and continueing until what ever step fixes the
problem

38,255

Did you guys happen to notice if the car was actually getting fuel? Sounds like a bad fuel pump. You may have just been lucky that the car started one last time. See if you can hear the fuel pump kick on for a few seconds while someone turns the key to Accessory. Remove fuel cap and hold ear to the hole. Or touch a screw driver to the bottom of the tank and put your ear to the plastic handle. If no humming, you either have a bad pump or no power to the pump.

Bypassing a relay can cause some interesting problems when attempting to activate a electrical circuit. Many relays are COMPUTER CONTROLLED.......and damage will result if you do not reference a wiring diagram while conducting this process. Having said that...I would be inclined to use DVOM and a wiring diagram for further trouble shooting. BTW....where did you purchase the new relay? New Parts are not always GOOD PARTS.