Oil on underside of hood on passage side front to back pretty fresh and never blows out hot air from heater no matter how long you drive any ideas

Asked by Mar 05, 2017 at 12:19 AM about the 1988 Toyota Camry

18,605

Belts or air/wind may be throwing oil up on hood try to locate the leak. How often do you have to add oil? or check power steering lines if equipped and heater core is bad. Are you sure its oil, could it be antifreeze or trans fluid?

Definitely not wind not my car it's my friends however she does burn through oil I was thinking someone took out thermostat to mask something bigger and she's now complaining about a noise when she starts it and it really appears to be engine oil I might add this car had been sitting for along time and you can see old oil leaks on the bottom end of pulleys and one really cold nite the belt was making a hell of a squeal and stopped upon throttle the oil on hood seems to be random puddles not streaks

18,605

Must be an oil leak above the pulleys, sitting for awhile the gaskets can go bad. Oil on the belts is not good, may can use a engine degreaser to spray it off and let dry before cranking it up to clean off belt and to see where the oil is leaking from and how fast it leaks. If its not too bad the cleaning may get the belts clean enough to work fine and if its drove some the gaskets may not leak as bad. I will say if its the valve cover its easy to replace and will not get better but worse. If the thermostat is removed to mask an issue has it been running hot? Is it loosing antifreeze? If its running to cool may be why the heater will not warm up.

2,020

Considering this vehicle is almost 30 yo...you might consider a complete under and over check up. $$$$ needed to make this vehicle reliable may be more than what you might get if you junk it.

Definitely agree now to convince my friend of this a miracle I tell ya thank you for the input