seems seized?

Asked by Jan 19, 2011 at 07:18 PM about the 1986 Toyota 4Runner

1986 Toyota 4 runner  22re engine, Hears the deal loaned the truck out,(first mistake) , they said they herd some knocking,like it was coming from the outside and below their feet, lights seemed to have dimmed on them , was losing power in the motor. they said they thought that it had something to do with the battery, and called me for a jump. got there bought a new battery put in it, then this is what I find,... the starter seems to be trying to engage, but has a sudden stop to it, took the starter off, check the fly wheel teeth good, (good shape) took the starter down to have it checked, (good shape) its a Manuel truck and has had problems with the clutch in the past, and am always having to add fluid to the master cylinder, now where the clutch has been a problem in the past I was hoping that it could be that some how the pressure plate,throw out bearing and shift fork could be the issue, I don't know how to tell if the engine is seized, and was wondering if any one has ever had a problem like this and what steps you took to figure out what was hanging it up? I need some insight for my next move.  
                           Please Help.Thank you   

85

the man crank pulley has either a square for a 1/2" ratchet or a bolt head . Try turning the main pulley by hand. If you can move it easily enough the motor is not seized. Depending on the bell housing you may be able to turn the flywheel by hand. If you can move it the motor is not seized. It may be your neutral safety switch. When you go to turn the key it just clicks and maybe shuts the lights off right?

Best Answer

Thanks for your help , I gave that a try, and could not get it to move, so now that I know that it is seized, do you have any Idea what parts are affected? should I just buy a new engine or fix this one? Again Thank you for your help!!

2,895

Take disr cap off turn over with wrench, think timing chain gave way It got noisy and there it went tension Or plastic giide 2 of them, sounds like chain let me know