Want to convert front drum brakes on my 1966 Biscayne Wagon to disc and looking for least expensive?

Asked by Oct 19, 2013 at 01:28 AM about the 1966 Chevrolet Biscayne

I have a 1966 Chevrolet Biscayne wagon and looking to out disc brakes on the front instead of the drums that are on there.  Rather than buy a disc conversion kit for hundreds of dollars, wondering what car's front disc brake set up would be the closest thing to a straight swap? Would like to be able to go to a junk yard, or somewhere else to get a used setup to get spindles, calipers, rotors, etc that would fit on the 66?

For safety's sake forget junkyards, if you are determined to have front disc brakes, (which really is a good idea) get the conversion kit. I know, it's easy for me to say it's not my money but the kit will have everything you need and far more safe and reliable than trying to swap old brakes from another car. And easier to do.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/Part-Type/Disc-Brake-Kits/Make/CHEVROLET/Front-Rotor-Diameter/11-00-in-279-4mm/Year/1966/Model/BISCAYNE/ .......or: http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/Chevy/Biscayne/111A50530A50673A0A115A9140A1.aspx

Disc brakes did not become available, as an option, until 1968 on these cars. So you'll need the kit. Sorry. -Jim