is it worth converting both front and back drum brakes to disc, or just do the front?

5

Asked by May 15, 2015 at 06:23 PM about the 1965 Chevrolet Biscayne

I have a 1965 4dr Chevy Biscayne, got it last year,  and I'm thinking of converting from
drums to disc, is it woth it to do all 4

66,245

I'd recommend upgrading the master cylinder to a duel chamber master cylinder (for safety reasons) and, if you want, front discs only. There are companies that sell the conversion kits for the front. I believe Impala Bob's is one such company. GM began offering front disc brakes, as an extra cost option, beginning in 1968. Some GMs, such as the Cadillac Eldorado and Chevrolet Corvette came equipped earlier. As for the rears, I'd leave them as drums. The front disc/rear drum system has always worked very well. With exception of the self adjusters. They've always been troublesome. HTH. -Jim

24,065

jim got it pretty close..if you buy a front kit it will come with a power booster and master cyl. ..at least change over to a duel master. anyway kits are not expensive here is a idea for you >RSD-AFXDC14

24,065

here is another part #AFXRD01S or go to >http://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/disc-brake-kits? SortBy=BestKeywordMatch&SortOrder=Ascending

5

Thanks, im thinking of just doing the master cylinder for now ( $ money ristrictions right now) but I dont want to order it, what year make and model came with one that will fit, from what ive looked up the 67 biscayne was the first one to come with a duel master cylinder but its for power brakes and I believe mine is manual brakes, will it still work?

24,065

almost any70+ chevelle....or any chevy master will bolt right in.. rebuilt master cyl $30 will work..add coupler and 2 feet line (ACE HARDWARE? $7.00) to the short end!