I have a 1961 Chev biscayne with six cylinder 3 speed manual and want to convert to v8 with the least modifications . Which one do you suggest ?

10

Asked by Jul 18, 2014 at 07:01 AM about the 1961 Chevrolet Biscayne

Straight six cylinder 235 to V 8

32,015

283 or 327.

20,545

is it a 2 door or 4 door? A 2 door is supposed to be fast and boho is right that the 327 will move it quickly down the road and make your car more valuable- but, a 350 is the more modern form of the engine and will be easier to find- if it a 4 door, I would just keep the 6- fits the family car spirit and gets much better gas mileage, and might even be more valuable with the original engine-

104,415

I agree that keeping a six will be more valuable in the long run. There are also all kinds of neat things you can do to your inline six to get unreal hp and torque out of that engine.

146,565

Bolt on supercharger...could add as much as 70HP to the 235...hard on tranny though

1,455

Any small block Chevy V8, but stock for '61 would be a 283" even a big block 348 or 409 if you can find one, they're optional SS engines. A crate 302-350 would be cool.

11,855

For modernization, go with a 350 crate engine with Electronic fuel injection. There may be an issue with several items. The front suspension may need beefing up for the heavier weight, the motor mounts may have to be relocated, the tranny may not fit or be able to take the new found HP. The radiator will have to be changed out to a larger one, the rear end and drive line just may need upgrading. Then there is the old brakes, More go means you need better stopping power and that would be up grade the old system or go with disc brakes. If you do swap out the engine, keep all the old parts removed. When you sell the car, offer them with the car so the new owner can decide if he wants to take it back to the original condition or not. If the new owner does not want the parts, you can learn how to sell on e-bay.

10

Decisions decisions! !!

104,415

That the actual car you talking about? If so it's beautiful.

11,855

Extreamly nice looking car. If it's V-8 power and sound you want, do the crate engine. Chevy makes them ready to bold in your car. The old transmission may need replacement and check to see if it and the bell housing and clutch will bolt up to the V-8. Heavy front springs can be had between $50 to $70. A larger radiator will cost near $200 if you can find a good deal. The crate engine will be anywhere from $2000 to $10,000 for a top tire shredding one. Transmission new will run about $2000. (top of the line Tremac) and safe breaks another grand. Still if you change everything out, keep the old original stuff. It will be worth money down the road, or sell it right away to defray the cost of the upgrades. Be careful, once bitten by the rebuild bug, it will get away from you and you'll not only have a tough car, but an expensive one also. Good luck and have fun. Go to a car builder shop or hot-rod shop and ask for suggestions. He may have some good parts laying around you can use for a lot less than new.

146,565

.

1,455

SS 409. "She's real fine, my 409" the Beach Boys.

146,565

Well I saved my pennies and I saved my dimes (Giddy up giddy up 409) For I knew there would be a time (Giddy up giddy up 409) When I would buy a brand new 409

11,855

Remember the 409 had major p[problems with the engine coming apart. The 454 solved those problems as did the 427 motors.