I have a 64 Belair with a cadillac v series ls engine with matching trans can some please help me in figuring out what rear end would be compatible with the car and drive train. a newer rear end w fab

Asked by Jul 27, 2015 at 03:35 PM about the 1964 Chevrolet Bel Air

I am willing to do the fab work on a good fab up rear end

1,435

Find the specs on the series engine-rear end. Match the ratio by installing a new ring & pinion gears in you Belair rear end. No need to change the rear just the ring & pinion gears. A posi unit would be cool too. If you have big bucks, whole built-up rear differentials are availible to your specs. Check online, do your research, look in the Jeg's catalog.

1,435

* v series

Thanks wasn't sure if I would be able to use the original rear end or not . The drive train came out of a racing series cadillac my friend had .

1,435

Yes 64' Belairs were stout. Remember the SS 409" V8? Bill "Grumpy" Jenkins comes to mind. The used the same rear end housing with upgraded internals (axials, posi unit, & gears). Sure you could adapt something else but would take many mods & welding. Even a Cadillac v series rear, but mounting it in a Belair would take so many changes. It's up to you & your budget.

11,315

If you are using the Caddy trans, I assume you will need to custom build a drive shaft? That way you can make sure it butts up to the rear end. Use the suggestions of changing the gears and other internal components unless a custom built rear end is cheaper. If you are not drag racing, mid range gears will give you the better ride, but tall gears also will give you better gas mileage if you want to drive it for any length. Upgrade all the u-joints and all drivetrain moving parts. Sounds like great project. Pictures when completed?

Thanks and yeah pics will be coming during the build . I have been working on the body until the drive train comes back from fishers had it honed out for the new je aluminum forged piston and new crank don't want any gremlins coming to life .

Still trying to figure out what I want to do cam wise.

She is being built my father my boys and my self with the cash coming from me. I have already spent close to 12k on car engine and trans but it's worth it to me . The memories I have of my dad and I building his 65 chevy truck is the best memory I have as a child and I hope to relive that with my dad and the boys she will be our baby and drive herself to car shows ie.no trailor queens here !

1,435

What cam? I like Crane Cams, & had outstanding performance with them. Call them & tell them what you have. ( tire size, engine cu. in., body weight. use- street or race, FI. or carburation, etc.) They will suggest a grind profile (lift & duration). Street profiles are slightly more than stock. [In a 440 Cuda' I used a torque 284 duration hyd cam, 250 something was stock. see?] The upgrades are roller rocker arms & hyd / roller lifters. Use a whole cam kit with matched for the cam rpm valve springs too.

Ok so I have an update on the rear end. The stamp on passenger side sys bw0527? When I look it up it says non posi. But I know without a doubt it's a posi . Question is, is what I have found right? Because I'm not getting much overall speed out of it before it seems to lose go power around 80 mph. I think it may have been gone into before I got it. I'm looking to keep it a posi with 3.08 gears. Which is why I was checking to find out what gear ratio it has. Currently I have in her a 350 with 397 hp a turbo 350 trans great power until it gets around 80 mph. I'm hoping to begin install of the LS package I have but am thinking to posibly keep it the way it is with some changes. I'm not sure. I don't need a dummy light to tell me something is wrong . My dad is a car nut he doesn't want me to put in that LS in that car what do you guys think? Honestly

And please help me out with this guy as with what you would do

1,435

Again that rear end probably started out as a Belair 6 cylinder dif. The ring & pinion rear end ratio is too low (high numerically) for top end over 80 mph. And any rear end can accept a posi-traction upgrade too. Choose another replacement ring & pinion for your app. Start with researching what ratio Cadillac V series engine used & match with GM gears (ring & pinion).