What viscosity oil was recommended for 63 Bel Air with 283 CID V8 w. 2bbl carb?*

30

Asked by Feb 15, 2013 at 02:40 AM about the 1963 Chevrolet Bel Air

I just bought a '63 Bel Air with 79 K original. miles.  It has the 283 CID V-8 with 2bbl carburetor.
Was curious as to what viscosity oil was called for in the car and what you think about switching over to synthetic oil in a car with the age and mileage of this one.

92,445

I think the viscosity back then was 30 weight. It doesn't really matter anymore because oil has advanced so much in the last 50 years. 5W30 is widely available today and should be sufficient. --- Mention full synthetic oils and everyone has a opinion. I see no harm in using them. They lubricate as well or better than dyno oil. There's a lot of thoughts about leaks, flow rates, lubricity, heat transfer, thermal breakdown, etc. --- Read up on oils at http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/ and make up your own mind.

Best Answer
30

Thanks so much for your well thought out answer. I have indeed been getting contradictory advice from well meaning friends and classic car buffs. I have been doing a lot of reading on the subject and it seems opinions are like noses...everybody has one. My mechanic who owns several antique and Classic cars Put Wolf's Head 10W30 in it as I had the oil changed right after I purchased the car. I'll definitely be checking out the bob is the oil guy site. Thanks Again!