Bel Air Restoration Project

Asked by Jun 19, 2010 at 01:41 AM about the 1963 Chevrolet Bel Air

I just bought a rusty 1963 Chevy Bel Air.  It is a 4dr sedan, with the inline 6, and an automatic transmission.  The gentleman I purchased the car from told me that it is the "blue flame" inline 6, and that it has a powerglide transmission.  It has been parked in a leaky barn for nearly 15 years, and was last started around that time. This is my first attempt at a project car, and I'm in no rush.  Looking under the hood, I can see that the hoses and wiring have suffered over the years.  My question is...  Where do I begin?  Obviously the body work and interior will be the final touches to this project.  Getting it running is a priority, but how do I get started.  Do I pull the motor and tear it down?  Do I worry about the wiring and all of that stuff in the car first?  I am looking forward to doing as much of the work as I can, but I'm just not sure where to begin.  Any tips?

5

i just purchased a 62 sedan i6 similar. the body on mine is in great condition the rubberized coat needs done engine i wanna swap. i am wondering the same thing because idk if i wanna keep it the same color or change it. if i were u i would do engine and elecrtical first. if it doesnt run its usless so i would do those first and worry about cosmetics later.

Thanks. That is my thinking also, but I'm not even 100% sure where to start with that. I guess pulling the enging out, and tearing it down will be the best place to start off. Thanks again.

3,055

try to get it running 1st , dump the gas tank & get a new one , a car sitting that long is gonna have corrosion in the gas tank & fuel lines. You don't want that crap getting into the carb. If you plan on keeping that engine do a compression test to make sure the engine is good.

55

you first need to decide what kind of restoration you want to do frame off or just fix what you have and drive it. If you want to do a frame off start by tearing down the front end and gutting the interior being careful to save as much as possible and label everything so you know where it goes if you do this you can more easily get to the motor do you want to keep the motor and tranny original or do you want to upgrade are a couple decisions you need to have figured out before you start also. I researched a ton of material before i turned one bolt and made a plan as to what i wanted to do to the car and a list of what needs repaired or replaced will help out allot to keep you organized hope this helps MC