I have a 57 chevy with a 20K 350 turbo motor and transmission. Car runs great but on occasion when I turn the motor off, a LOUD popping noise comes out of the rear. Not a backfire thru the pipes, it sounds like metal on metal. Any ideas?

Asked by Jan 25, 2015 at 10:15 AM about the 1957 Chevrolet Bel Air

10,975

Do you notice if the engine runs on after the ignition is shut off? Sometimes referred to as "dieseling". I can't imagine what could be making a noise like that if it's not mechanical. The only movement you may have in the rear is the exhaust pipe maybe hitting the frame, bumper, etc..