how reliable is the powerglide transmission on a 57 bel air

Asked by May 31, 2014 at 05:53 PM about the 1957 Chevrolet Bel Air

112,325

All I know about the power glide trans is that all the guys that race mustangs around here convert over to the power glide trans for the strip. If it holds up to all that abuse they have to be good.

16,815

how reliable is a 1957, I guess it depends on how it's been treated and maintained. If you want to buy something from 1957 and you want some kind of assurance that it's tip top then I guess you'll need to examine the tranny by driving it ,checking the linkages,the fluid. I don't think I'd buy a 57 year old car for day to day transportation. That's a purchase for love.

34,655

In its day it was bullet proof. Like the man said. It's 57 years old.

16,815

I used to think I was bullet proof;but,without proper maintenance the tubes rot and things fall off. Regarding the tranny - it had a good rep. so let's hope the car, that paultroche is looking at, was looked after.....P.S. to B Mark- check your account and your garage on your page where your profile is. Catch you later.

195

there only as good as u treat them i have burn only 1 until t started 2 care with them