57 Chevy 283 with a 327 350hp cam and 200r4 (has overdrive)trans worked about 300hp would a 4:56 rear be to much it would be just for the nostalgic races

185

Asked by Mar 27, 2013 at 07:48 PM about the 1957 Chevrolet Bel Air

be able to change it back and forth any time i want has 373 now and in overdrive feels like it's going to stall at 60mph if i get on it think overdrive is like .67

Don't race this one! you might wreck it~

Best Answer Mark helpful
108,995

Guys would have a 4:11 on the street so I think the 4:56 gears should be ok on the street. I would find a drag race forum and find out what combo works best. That's a whole lot more current than some guy's memories.

185

To the judge only on the real strip Cecil County Strip and if I get it up to 90mph i will be having fun.Thanks for the advice always respected my elders HA! To tenspeed you hit it on the money talked to Darrell at 4speeds by Darrell today and he said the same that I will not now the difference from the 373 to the 411 he is going to find me a 430 but it's hard so 456 for under $400 can't beat that THANKS YOU GUYS ROCKETMAN

buy a new easily replaced one for racing! Chevy 350 with Turbo 350 is a fairly inexpensive combo-

20,065

Cars in that era came with 4:11 gears from the factory. With an auto, just mash your foot to the floor and let it go. OD will not kick in. If you get that heavy boat up to 90 mph with an automatic trans, enjoy the ride. If you start racing such a classic car as a 57 Chevy, you will be putting in money to to go faster. beware, once the bug bites you, cars, boats and wives, all drain the billfold. Keep it stock, it is wort a lot of money.