No brake lights

85

Asked by Oct 16, 2015 at 12:40 PM about the 1956 Chevrolet Bel Air

Wife and I took the 56' to a meet last night, the guy guiding us in said that we had no brake lights.  Am new to this hole thing so two questions, well 3.  Could it be a fuse?  Where is the fuse box, or do I need a new stop light switch and is that easy to replace?  thanks

69,005

Could be fuse,check under dash for fuse panel,if fuse,s are good,check the bulbs,then check the brake light switch.

85

T_S_T- any idea where to find a diagram of what fuse the brake lights might be?

69,005

Found a little information for you may help,click to up size the pictures.

69,005

Did not find fuse for brake light,but did find this,the lights are ran through the light switch it self.

69,005

Have you checked the brake light switch at the brake pedal for fire?

85

No not sure how to do that :-(

85

thanks for the diagrams and pics will check out when I get home..

69,005

There is a switch under dash at the break pedal,it will be about half way up the stalk,has two wires running to it,not sure of color on that old of model,but one of the wires should have fire to it constant,and the other is a ground,if the switch is bad,it will not let the fire go through therefore no break lights when you push the pedal.

69,005

This is it,

85

Ok keep in mind sir, I am not even close to a mechanic. How do I check if there is fire to it?? sorry...

69,005

Test light,see the wire end,ground the test light to any medal in car,then touch the test light to the wire end,should have fire/ light.

69,005

If no fire swicth is bad.

69,005

Even the best mechanics,were not mechancly inclined untill they learned< : )

69,005

And i will end with this,very nice car,almost like mine.

85

Great thanks for your help and thanks for the compliment. My father and I appreciate it.

69,005

You are welcome.

85

Well by no means do I consider myself an expert, however I did replace the swtich and it works!! also changed the oil and filter for the first time myself... that muffler gets hot!!! thanks for the help. Not sure what the next project is, however I will post something soon I am sure\. thanks again

were does the wire for brake lights switch go I have the hot orange no other ons

Were is the other wire on brake light switch?