56 Bel Air Fuel Gauge not functioning

Asked by Aug 21, 2015 at 03:01 PM about the 1956 Chevrolet Bel Air

Ok second question for the group.  My fathers 56' Chevy Bel Air that he has gifted to me is in pretty good shape, however some small things need to be done.  The first one i want to tackle is the fuel gauge does not work.  It shows empty at all times.  Any tips, tricks or suggestions?  Is it hard to fix?  too expensive?

Kelly Mayo

hello..there is a wire running to the top of the sending unit on top of tank..look there and ok check wire at both ends to see if its still in one piece/conducts...also if it is the gauge ,there are several gauge repair shops that will fix your stock one.. or buy a new one > http://www.classicchevy.com/interior-parts-and-trim/gauges.html

Here is a good read http://www.eastcoastchevy.com/X6tech/tech_gas.html

Ok great thanks

A gauge that always reads empty is a bad ground connection. HTH. -Jim