I get 9 miles per gallon on my 1990 V6 4Runner.

Asked by Dec 25, 2006 at 05:21 AM about the 1990 Toyota 4Runner

I get 9 miles per gallon on my 1990 V6 4Runner, I have had it inspected several times and no one can find the poblem. This truck is great throughout and runs perfect with this one expection.
Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas?

14,840

Hello Tyland12000- Seems like the old tank is costing you some cash. Do you know that the government says that your Toyota should be getting around 18 miles to the gallon in mixed driving? If you have already done all the mechanical checks and tuneups and your tires are inflated correctly, I can't offer any encouraging hints. Do you know that if you drive the national average of 12,000 miles a year and if you pay $2.50 a gallon for your gas, you are paying over $1,600 a year more to drive than the guy driving the same miles and getting 18 miles per gallon. Maybe you need a new set of wheels, or maybe a lifestyle change as suggested by the government at their site- www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/drive.shtml. Another site to look at is from the Iowa Energy Center- http://www.energy.iastate.edu/news/pr/pr-gasmileage.html. See ya at the pumps. Good luck from Bovan.

look at the steel clamps holding the fuel lines to the floor underneath the truck. the lines tend to rust and leak. small leaks drip on the drive shaft and spin off evaporating quickly. also check the little flaps in your air cleaner. they could be stuck open. but i get 18 or 20 mpg in my 4 runner so keep trying.if u can fix it youll b very happy w your mileage

Have you always gotten that type of mileage? If so maybe the previous owner changed the rear differential or something? I hate to here your mileage is so bad since I am looking a 2 door 4runner to buy myself. On the bright side the insurance is less that a new car and also the cost of a newer one adds up too. Let me know if you found the problem. splatgun@yahoo.com Mark

395

Unfortunately the 4runner 3.0L are bad engines, all the head gasket go out. It could be coming up on the end of it's life cycle or time to do a major engine re-hall. They do have the engine swap with the improve 3.4L engine. Or I would highly suggest selling yours and getting a newer 4runner 96-2002 3rd generation 4runner. Much more reliable engine 3.4L (one of Toyota engines ever built!!!) You will get much better gas milleage on it. Also their are So many more upgrades and modifications for the 3rd genereation 4runner!! If you are still set on yours, I would do a tune-up, spark plugs and wires, new air filter maybe cold air intake, a magnaflow exhaust, narrower tires really help, clean the throttle body (you can do that yourself) de-carb like Sea-Foam good stuff, synthetic oil will help as well, and change driving habits more coasting to lights lighter acceleration. You can also try a lighter drive pully, switch your radiator to electric. I suggest third generation 4runner ( I had 1-92 4runner, and 15 3rd generation 4runners) LOVE THEM!

Pull one of your vacuum lines and see if it's full of fuel. The diaphragm prob went bad in your fuel pressure regulator and you have fuel running through all your vacuum lines

5

I am having a similar problem with my 92 4Runner 3.0 V6, my milage is not as bad as yours is, about 12mpg, and have been told it may be my fuel pressure regulator. Mine starts fine, idles fine, has plenty of get up and go but balks when warmed up and trying to maintain a speed on the road. Does this sound familiar?