OIL LIGHT

Asked by Dec 08, 2006 at 02:19 AM about the 1991 Toyota MR2

MY 1991 MR2 MADE A STRANGE SOUND AND THE LOST POWER. I WAS TRAVELLING SLOWLY SO I PULLED UP QUICKLY AND TURNED OFF THE ENGINE.THERE WAS A STRONG SMELL WHICH IS DIFFICULT TO DESCRIBE - NOT BURNING OIL BUT MORE LIKE BURNT CLUTCH.
THE ENGINE STARTED AGAIN AND DROVE BUT WAS EXESSIVELY NOISY FROM THE TOP END AND THE OIL PRESSURE LIGHT STAYED ON.
HAS COMPRESSION, OIL, CAM LOBES ARE OK.
HELP!!

8,305

The burning smell sounds like its either overheated breaks or your clutch. Here is a link with what different smells and car trouble symptoms relate to: http://www.gmgoodwrench.com/Tips/DiagnosingTheProblem.jsp Here is a different link that lists problems that could go along with the sound you are hearing: http://www.imperialclub.com/Repair/Engine/noise.htm Look at these links first, however another solution could be that the smell could be the coolant and your engine is overheating because the coolant isn't working properly. Make sure the cooling system has been flushed.