Are head gaskets an issue/problem with this car?

Asked by Nov 01, 2007 at 10:09 PM about the 1991 Toyota Cressida

Question type: Maintenance & Repair

I read a review at edmunds that discussed the car's head gaskets as being the car's achiles heel.  That because the car is no longer made parts cost somewhere in the acura -- lexis range, and sometimes upwards of $1200.  Is this true, should I try to plan for this supposed eventuality?

4 Answers

42,955

It is definitely a possibility. I would plan for this eventuality if you're going to keep the car. Check out www.carsurvey.org to see if anyone else is reporting this problem. Other than that, just keep your antifreeze changed, watch your temps, and you should be fine as long as you don't overheat it.

3 of 3 people found this helpful.
235

the whole job of replacing the head gasket is US$1000-1500, not the parts. the job can be done for under $200 in parts. for the 7MGE (NOT the 88 and earlier engines) blowing the head gasket is about 30% chance by 100k miles, 70% change by 150k miles, 95% by 200k. When you get it replaced, after doing everything according to the manual, torque the head bolts to 75 ftlbs and you'll never have to do another head gasket on it.

3 of 3 people found this helpful.
15

ooohh...so seems like I DO need to save up/plan on this pretty soon for my 89 Cressida! I've got almost 230K on the engine, had an explosion going BOOM! when my radiator hose bursted in June this year (09), and its still running ok (had mechanic check it out immediately) except it seems to overheat a lot more since 1 month after the incident. Maybe the engine seems to run rough at times too...one shop mechanic said the 4th and 5th gaskets are weak in Cressidas...maybe my headgasket's going out???

1 of 1 people found this helpful.

The problem with this car is not the head gasket. The timing cover two thousandth of a inch above the block. You got to get the block and the timing cover level. this is manufactured defects. Check clearance with fielder gage with out gasket, head over block. Again do not replace head gasket without checking. Clearance should be about .001 inches or less, check toyota clearance guide, to be shure. That will be end of all head gasket problem.

Your Answer

Add photo

Related Questions

Cressida

Looking for a Used Cressida in your area?

CarGurus has thousands of nationwide listings and the tools to find you a great deal.

ZIP:

Search Toyota Cressida Questions

Toyota Cressida Experts

#1 carGrrl
carGrrl
Reputation 100
#2 Russell Cook
Russell Cook
Reputation 90
#2 littlehorn
littlehorn
Reputation 90
View All

Related Models For Sale

Used Toyota Corolla
786 Great Deals out of 73,830 listings starting at $1,995
Used Toyota Supra
43 listings starting at $63,800
Used Nissan 240SX
24 listings
Used BMW 3 Series
971 Great Deals out of 31,729 listings starting at $1,000
Used Toyota Camry
998 Great Deals out of 90,917 listings starting at $650
Used Toyota Pickup
102 listings starting at $6,999
Used Mazda RX-7
61 listings
Used Toyota Celica
8 Great Deals out of 343 listings starting at $1,000
Used Ford Mustang
474 Great Deals out of 45,735 listings starting at $1,999
Used Toyota Land Cruiser
19 Great Deals out of 1,120 listings starting at $3,700
Used Honda Accord
812 Great Deals out of 84,287 listings starting at $1,050

Content submitted by Users is not endorsed by CarGurus, does not express the opinions of CarGurus, and should not be considered reviewed, screened, or approved by CarGurus. Please refer to CarGurus Terms of Use.