94 Toyota pickup coolant blockage

20

Asked by Aug 02, 2016 at 01:40 PM about the 1994 Toyota Pickup

I have a 94 Toyota pickup 2.4 lit 4x4 .
Overheating so I replaced water pump,
gaskets, & thermostat. Still overheating.
Found the problem that water passage from
the coolant system is blocked. How do I fix
this problem because running water thru the
system isn't working??? Rase any
suggestions??

102,155

In severe cases the engine has to be removed disasembled and hot tanked to clean it up. I'm sure you don't want to go that far. Exactly what passage are you talking about?

20

Not sure took old water pump off the impeller blades were gone. Put a new pump in and getting no flow. Any suggestions. Does that qualify for a sever case??

102,155

You could have an air pocket in the cooling system. Have you tried to raise the front of the truck about 2 feet and rebleed the system?

20

Has Radiator disconnected feeding it with a water hose with engine running still no flow. Haven't tried raising the truck think that might work

102,155

Check the thermostat, it maybe defective or in upside down, also make sure you have the right water pump some were reverse flow, it should say right on the box. You might try it with the thermostat removed, that way you can tell if you actually get flow.

20

The thermostat wasn't even in it at the time. What way should my flow be

20

Should the flow be coming out of the top of the radiator or the bottom?

102,155

Hot water in the top of the radiator, cool water out the bottom into the water pump housing. After looking up your pump it is normal flow not reverse.

102,155

Hot water from engine, through radiator out to lower water pump housing.

20

Which way should the thermostat be spring side down into the intake or up

102,155

Down into the intake bore. Make sure the jiggle pin is towards the rear of the engine.

20

Really appreciate it. Flushing the radiator by itself and trying a few of your suggestions. I'll let you know how it works out. Really hoping it's an easy fix

102,155

OK, good luck

20

If I put the water pump back in it and I feed the lower radiator hose with a garden hose with engine running it should push the water out of the intake port where the thermostat sits like a fountain?

102,155

Yes, as long as you have a good seal around the hose stuck in the lower hose so it can build enough pressure to force it around the passages. I have one that fit right inside the hose that you just clamp down on for flushing, works the other way for back flushing, put it in the top hose.

5,805

do not use water...it's the reason for your troubles~ change the water with 50/50 mix...after an overheat....this car will be good for short trips only....have lost two of my favorite cars because they could no longer stay the course~ 88 quantum (my favorite car ever) and a 74 Celica...both might have stayed on the road with a motor rebuild or replace...my recommendation avoid all that work and get a Japanese engine~

102,155

Did you finally get it to flow properly?

20

Hey Mark got everything possible flushed then put back together. Drove it to work this morning and had to stop at the store and let it cool for 30 minutes. Still getting hotter than its supposed to. Even took it for a test drive around drove for awhile last night got back in and was running fine

102,155

Great sounds like you got the flow problem nailed, you might want to check the fan clutch, it should have a lot of drag on it cold, if it spins fairly easy cold then it is shot.