'94 Camry starts OK every morning but if I back out of garage and take foot off gas cold engine dies.Then doesn't restart. No click, no cranking. After a min it cranks.

Asked by Apr 03, 2017 at 07:08 PM about the 1994 Toyota Camry

Tried moving shift to Neutra,  Park and everything else. No help. Turn key off an on,  Remove and re-insert key. No help. Just have to keep trying until key finally cranks and starts it.

85,285

This sounds like the ignition switch may be bad. Some are adjustable, and some are not. May want to look at the ignition switch.

A CarGurus user (Rowefast) answered your question: "'94 Camry starts OK every morning but if I back out of garage and take foot off gas cold engine dies.Then doesn't restart. No click, no cranking. After a min it cranks.". They wrote: "This sounds like the ignition switch may be bad. Some are ...... Switch works EVERY TIME, Except.......... under those circumstances. Maybe a computer thing where it needs to wait a minute or more before it resets?

Other Toyota owners have had similar problem. Toyota should know the solution. Will need to go to a dealership I guess.

48,395

I had two Toyota's with a very similar issue. I could drive mine all day. Then if I shut if down and tried to restart it, it wouldn't do a thing. If I waited for a while, it would start right back up. I determined it was most likely the distributor or ignition module. I never bothered to spend the money to fix it since the vehicles were 20+ years old. I just by passed the ignition with a push button over ride that I mounted under the dash. Anytime the car wouldn't start, I would just leave the key in the ON position and hit the push button. Car started every time. If you want to actually fix the issue, I would start by getting a used distributor from a salvage yard. Put that in and see if the problem persists. If so, I would them move to the ignition module. Before spending any big money, I would change out the coil first, if you haven't already tried that. Then move to the bigger ticket items. Keep us posted. This has been addressed a few times on this site, and nobody ever writes back with the cure. Thanks and good luck!

85,285

I took this as there is no power getting to the starter. The engine is not turning over with the starter.