1997 Toyota Rav 4 Engine Check light sensor and how to check diagnostics codes

Asked by May 17, 2010 at 11:05 AM about the 1997 Toyota RAV4

Hello my girl friends Toyota check light will come on every once in a while then stay off for weeks so I was wondering is the check light a sensor that could be dirty? Whatever the problem is it's minor so if anyone know's if it's just a sensor and where it's located I can just get to it and clean it up. Some sensors on engines will short out after a few years from carbon build up, dirt, oil, ect. So it's always good to take them out once in a while and clean it with a degreaser. And I know it works for mustangs but can you take a paper clip into one of the holes of the computer to get a diagnostic code read out from the dash lights?

If someone has any information on that please let me know on here.
Thank you.

105

my '99 has the check light on... first occasionally and now always because i need either to line the pipe to the fuel tank or get a new one. does she smell fuel ever? just as the check engine light will go on if the fuel cap is loose, it will go on if there is a any hole in that pipe... my mechanic also said he'll need to check the sensor for the fuel gage... probably doesn't help in your particular situation but, in case it does, i thought i'd mention it...

30

rava4 hi my engine light wont go off just had new cat fitted they turn it of it cimes back on when i drive help

405

You need to have the codes read from your check engine light. You can buy an OBD11 code reader from your local auto parts store to read the code. Once you read the code a better answer can be given. There are hundreds of codes that represent different problems with your car. Different codes will give different recommendations to solve your problem. Get the problem code first. The OBD11 connector for your car is below the steering wheel, plug scanner into car and read code. Post code to get diagnosis...

3,115

Ck obd2'also did they replace sensor when replacing convetor the sensor 02 obd will tell you.