oil leak

Asked by Mar 16, 2007 at 11:02 AM about the 1997 Toyota Camry

i have an oil leak on a 1997 camry 4 banger 2.2 l. it isn't
coming from the valve cover gasket or the oil pan. looks like
the oil is commlng from the upper back side side of the engine.
what else is in that area that could be leaking oil. about a quart
every 1,000 miles. ???? any assistance greatly appreaciated.

thanks jp

Hi Jack! In a similar thread I found elsewhere on the web these are some comments " With the amount of miles that you have on the car you may have the following problems 1st is the distributer o-ring 2nd is the valve cover gasket. I realy needed to know if it is a v6 or 4cyl ? On the valve cover there is small half moon cut outs you may want to remove the aluminum moons and clean and reseal with Toyota FIPG ( form in place gasket the after market equivalent is black silicon RTV ) that will take care of the easy stuff. As for removing the engine I would not unless the rear main seal is leaking. You also said that you replaced the pan gasket well got news for you it soud not have a cork or paper gasket this also should be sealed with Toyotas FIPG. Now if all that is good that leaves seals and o-rings under the timing belt there are cam seal or seals, crank seal, oil pump seal ( 4cyl only ) this also has a formed o-ring behined oil front cover. " ... The o-ring theory was backed up in these comments from another source: " Last but not least, don't jump to conclusions if it appears that a 2.2 Camry engine needs a rear main seal. The oil you see may have run down from a leaking distributor O-ring. Occasionally, you'll find that the oil is coming from the distributor vent hole because the seal inside the distributor is leaking. This internal seal isn't serviceable, so you'll have to install either a new distributor subassembly from Toyota or a complete remanufactured unit from an aftermarket distributor." ... Hope that gets you started! Good luck!

In fact, replacing seals (front seal,camor crankshaft seals) may involve removal procedure of the timing belt, in which timing will have to be set. keep in mind be cautious on installation if the seal or seals are installed improper it could cause the same problem or even cause damage to the camshaft or other parts of the engine.

Good info from Lou there.... You need to get underneath the thing with a flashlight and look up and try to isolate the leak before you start throwing gaskets on it. If its too much of a mess to trace anything, get one or two cans of Brake Parts Cleaner and spray the piss out of the backside of the motor, top to bottom, to wash all of the oil and grease off of it. Do it when the motor is cold since brake parts cleaner is flammable and has a very low flash point. Once you clean it up, let it idle for a while and look up there again. With a leak that substantial, you should be able to isolate where it's coming from fairly quickly, though it may take a day of normal driving for enough to leak to be easily visible. Though I'm thinking it's fairly likely that it's your distributor/cam sensor o-ring, like Lou mentioned. When those things deteriorate and start to leak, the amount of oil that comes out is pretty tremendous. Also, did the leak start after anything in particular was done, like a Valvecover Gasket? Sometimes where the gasket makes a hump by the timing cover, they will leak there at the corner if a dab of RTV wasn't put there prior to installation.

your model has a rubber plug dead center towards the front in the same line area of the placement of the CAMSHAFT !

should be a rubber hose that allows venting of crankcase/valvecover.oil doesnt actually flow through it,just vapors.It probably has become brittle.O'reilly's or Auto Zone should keep it instock.

I will give you 1000 for your car cash

Dear Sirs, Where exactly is this Distributor hole Gasket located on a 2001 Toyota Camry CE 2.2L,4 Cylinder ? My Toyota Mechanic said it's leaking bad ! I just had all the other seals replaced,246000 miles on it .:(

since the 2001 4 cyl doesn't have an actual distributor, the hole where a distributor would be located on older model engines is covered by the bracket the holds the ignition coils. To access the rubber plug, remove the valve cover, and the plug will be held into place by a metal cap. Remove the cap, remove the plug, clean it all up real good, and then use plenty of RTV sealant around the plug, and in corners of the metal cap where oil could seep out. I did mine last year. The leak apeared to be coming from the oil pan, but it was this rubber plug.

Be sure to Change the PCV Valve My 1996 Camry after changing all gaskets silll Leaked where we decided it was under Pressure when it leaked, So we changed the PCV & leaks stopped

Sabrina Ramos

1994 Toyota Camry V6: I've been putting Motor Oil ever 2 days in my car cause it keep flash in my car. My car has been leaking black oil from underneath my car. Were I put the motor oil. What shell I do about the leak? Also what shell I do if my car takes to long to warm up and wants to turn of? I need correct and easy way to get it fixed?