Door won't open from outside

5

Asked by Aug 15, 2010 at 01:19 AM about the 1997 Toyota 4Runner

Hi there-

I just brought my 97 4Runner to the dealership to get the brakes done. After leaving the lot and going into a nearby store, I returned to the car to find the driver's side door handle would no longer let me get into the car.  I can open the door from the inside but not the outside.  Is it a mere coincidence that I can no longer enter the driver's side door, or is it possible something happened while they were working on my car that has caused a problem?

10

They probably locked your keys in the car & had to fish the door lock with a slim jim. They probably knocked one of the linkages off. Mechanics lock the keys in the doors all the time.

10

same thing happened on my 1996 toyota camry, picked it up from the shop and now the driver's side door lock and handle doesn't work. do i need to go to a locksmith to fix it?

20

If 4 Runner back lift gate wont open try this..Push firmly on the license plate..at the same time attempt to open the lift gate by squeezing the lift gate handle..If you hear the mechanism working release the handle and the pressure on the plate..When you hear the mechanism a second time attempt to open the door by squeezing the lift gate handle with no pressure on the plate..I did this sequnce several times and got it to open...Once open pop the cover of the lock mechanism and liberally spray BLASTER INTO THE MECHANISM..Let it work for about 20 minutes repeat...shut door..try again..it may be a bit fussy, but keep working that mechanism and it will free up..once its free spray WD 40 in that mechanism and in the locking mechanism as well That whole door thing drove me nuts until I figured what worked for me..GOOOOOD LUCK..