My 1988 Corvette Rich smelling exhaust\gas issue

285

Asked by Oct 17, 2015 at 09:09 PM about the 1998 Chevrolet Corvette

My 1988 Corvette has been tuned up, new fuel pump, new CAT back exhaust system, BUT it still has a rich gas exhaust smell that is strong.  Any suggestions or ideas?   Total mileage 50K  Need some help, please.  Thanks.

78,005

Could be O2 sensors, or fuel pressure regulator, have you had the codes checked?

285

I haven't gotten the codes checked. Do I take it to any mechanic shop and they should have what I need to check the codes? What's the procedure on how they do that? Thanks so much.

78,005

Go to: http://www.gmforum.com/specifications-general-information- 132/obd1-codes-retrieval-gm-1983-95-cars-trucks-**-278820/

78,005

Simple and straight forward even has the code lists.

285

Awesome. Can't believe I can do this myself and get the codes. FYI: My "check engine" light has never turned on or alerted me... and I have never received any codes thus far for my '88 Vette on the instrument panel or information center.... Thanks

78,005

On OBD1 you don't have to see a light to have a code, that is one of the many reasons they called it OBD dumb.

285

Thanks... Got it. I ordered an O2 sensor as mine is original. Going to check the EGR next. Thanks for your help!

155

When I put a NEW cat back exhaust on my 2000 Corvette, it smelled very "rich" for nearly 200 miles. The new systems have a coating put on them for storage, packing, and shipping... the smell burns off after driving awhile. Give it a few miles and it will go away. Just a thought, but it worried me too! Hope this helps!

285

I just got a major tune-up, engine degreased, 02 sensor changed, AC compressor, evaporator\dryer and expansion device, serpentine belt and belt tensioner assembly, and new rack and pinion and water cooler line back to rack, distributor cap and wires, all new spark plugs, new spark plug wires, brake booster, brake lines cleaned.... Now I went to start the car and my "check engine" light is on........Need some ideas and help, please. Thanks!

285

I got a magnaflow cat back system put on my car last year as well, maybe that could be the "rich gas smell." I found a small vaccuum leak and got that repaired. Just can't figure out why my check engine light is on and I've never seen this on before and it's right after I did the major tune-up as explained above......

155

Did you reset the codes after the tuneup and O2 sensor replacement? Also, one more thing... sometimes it is only a simple matter of a bad gas cap that can cause the check engine light to come on. Try getting a new gas cap and reset the computer. Hope this helps! Let me know!

285

No, did not reset the codes after tuneup and 02 sensor replacement... My mechanic does not own OBD1 scanner which is scary.. And with the paperclip trick I am scared that he will fry my computer...... Is it hard to do and can I fry my computer using the paperclip trick? Also, got a new gas cap.

155

Super easy... simply disconnect the negative battery terminal, turn on the light switch for 5 to 10 minutes, then connect the battery back up and proceed to start the car. If the check engine comes on then, there is another problem, but at least you know you're starting fresh. And, no, you won't fry the computer by the paper clip trick if you do it following the instructions. There are other methods, but this one is free and easy! Let me know!

285

You are the best! Thanks.......I will let you know what I come up with...