Why did I fail NY inspection

30

Asked by Feb 01, 2016 at 11:25 PM about the 1999 Toyota Camry

I need an inspection on my car. My engine light was on. A friend was able to
reset it so the light would no longer be an issue.  He told me to drive around for
about 40 miles before going to get it inspected. I drove about 50. Light was still
off but failed. It says Readiness failed; Monitor catalyst not ready; Monitor evap
not ready; Monitor O2 not ready. Now I don't know much about cars but from
what I'm reading on the internet I see that getting the "not ready" results means
that after my friend reset it the monitors still weren't on and that's why I didn't
pass. Not necessarily because something needs to be fixed. What I'm confused
about is if I'm correct then why did the mechanic tell me that if it wasn't for the
O2 coming up I would have passed and that I need to put in a bottle of
"guaranteed to pass" in my fuel tank as if that is going to fix what made me fail.
Wasnt it the monitors not being on yet that made me fail?

67,255

Here's the deal. Clearing the computer (PCM) turned off the check engine light. But it also cleared the readiness monitors. The readiness monitors set once the PCM has run diagnostics on the engine's emissions systems and they pass the PCM's diagnostics. Since your Toyota is a '99 model you can pass inspection with 2, but only 2, readiness monitors not set. To get them to set you must keep the gas tank between 3/4 and 1/4 full. No more and no less. Then just drive normally for a few days. However I bet the check engine light will come back on. Clearing the PCM didn't fix the problem. If the problem was with, say the catalytic converter, as soon as the computer checks the catalytic converter and it fails the diagnostic the check engine light will come back on. The EVAP readiness monitor is the hardest one to get to set so don't worry about it. Especially in the cold weather. In December I had a misfire code pop up on my '00 Grand Prix and you guessed it the car was due for (New Jersey) inspection. After I fixed it I cleared the PCM then drove the car about 2 hours with a half tank of gas. I passed inspection with only the EVAP readiness monitor not set. Since my car is a 2000 model only 1 readiness monitor can be not set and the car will still pass. On 1996 thru 1999 you can have 2 not set. What trouble code do you have that's triggering the check engine light? Post the code(s) and we can help further. Let's try to fix it correctly. HTH. -Jim

30

OK the check engine light is still off. I went to an auto parts store to get any codes that come up. 2 did. Po440 evap control system large leak (0.080") detected and po441 evap system incorrect purge flow detected. Now besides what they mean I have a couple of questions. First, because codes showed up does that mean the monitors are ready now or not necessarily? IF it means they are ready do u think I would pass? I noticed both codes say evap and the mechanic who did my inspection told me that if the o2 monitor was ready and nothing wrong I would have passed. Even with the other 2 monitors not ready

67,255

No, you will not pass. Your check engine light should be on with those 2 codes. Does it come on with the ignition on but the engine not running? It should. It sounds like a disconnected or misrouted vacuum hose at the purge valve. A faulty gas cap will also cause the P0440. As will a vacuum hose condition as I stated above. The P0441 could be a bad purge valve (not opening) a clogged charcoal canister, or, again, a vacuum hose issue. If your mechanic is not familiar with the EVAP System you'll want to see another mechanic. You can inspect the vacuum hoses yourself for damage and being misrouted. You can replace the gas cap as well. They're not too expensive. Once you have made any repairs you'll have to clear the computer (PCM) and repeat the driving with between 3/4 and 1/4 in the gas tank. HTH. -Jim

30

So does it mean the monitors r ready or no?

67,255

The monitors should be ready. However you still won't pass inspection because of the trouble codes in the computer. Also, if your check engine light isn't working correctly you'll fail for that as well. HTH. -Jim

30

Just came back and I passed. Yay!!! Thank you for your help though.

67,255

You're welcome. Glad to help. Awesome!! WOO- HOO!! Those codes must have been old codes that were still stored in the computer's history or the parts store misread the information when they scanned it. That would explain why your check engine light was not on. Anyhow congratulations!! I'm glad you passed! -Jim