camry 99 stall/vibration too much when apply sudden break

10

Asked by Oct 17, 2015 at 04:14 PM about the 1999 Toyota Camry

Hi experts,
I did  air intake hose replace so vibration is reduce but still its not 100 % stop. i did motor mount and bone mount as well, i also change coil but i change only one coil thinking that only one coil is bad however vibration is there so, looks like some time cylinder is misfiring but its uncertain and happening when i break suddenly I need expertise advice and what could be other reason of stalling/vibration ?
should i try with new plug wire ? do you think plug wire can be causing this problem ? it looks good by visual inspection but not sure so just need your advice ?
i check manifold leak but i don't think its leak so just wondering what could be other reason ? is there any sensor could be bad ? car has just 138k, 99 camry 4 cyl.

Did you perform a "throttle body cleaning"?

10

yes i did it.

Clarification. Are you indicating the ENGINE runs rough when you take your foot OFF the gas pedal.....or....are you saying the BRAKES make the vehicle shudder when brakes are applied? Is the Check Engine Light on when the engine is running?

10

Nothing like either one. When i stop sudden, it start shudder/stall/solid-vibration like misfire. So i usually keep in park then just race it, as soon as i race vibration is going away and its back to normal idle. This happens only when i apply solid brake and stop immediate rest of the time its kind of normal. I did check vac leak but i don't think there is any vac leak. Just wondering what is causing solid stalling at suddenly stop ??

OK. It appears to be a rough idle and stall problem in Park/Neutral/Drive. Is the Check Engine Light ON when the engine is running? IF the Throttle Body is clean and the IAC(Idle Air Control Valve) is functioning properly....you might have an EGR Valve problem. Find the EGR Valve and DISCONNECT and PLUG all vacuum hoses going in and out of this valve. See if this issue goes away. Go to NAPA Online parts for a picture... price... and availability of this valve. Don't but it unless it tests bad.

10

so for no check engine light. I will try to clean EGR valve and see. This stalling problem comes only when i apply sudden brake at stop light or when i use solid brake to stop immediate i am sure it is due to some vac leak but very hard to find leak. when it comes it will stay in all gear like park/Neutral/Drive. it will go away when i put in the park and race the car a bit for 2-3 times.

Is there a "vacuum booster" in this vehicles brake system? Looks like a donut located behind master cylinder? Also...try wiggle/tug on wire harnesses under hood when the engine is idling in Park.

10

Yes it does have "vacuum booster". I did took out EGR yesterday and notice a bit open stuck some time so I did clean with carburetor clear hope fully this should resolve my problem. I will drive for a week or so and let you update the status. Does it something related to vacuum booster problem ? do you think it could cause stalling the car ? Just for my knowledge.

IF indeed this vehicle has a vacuum assist power brake system it is possible for a vac. leak inside the booster to cause a vac. leak only when you step on the brake pedal. Try this...sit in the driver seat and pump up the brake pedal with the engine NOT running. Hold your foot on the brake pedal and start her up. The brake pedal should sink to the floor. Then pump up the brake pedal with your hand with the engine running and listen for a hissing sound down by the brake pedal. Get back to us with the result.

10

yes i did it. I can hear hissing sound. What does that mean ?? how to make sure if there is vac leak through vac booster ?

Sounds like you might have a bad brake booster. Ty this. Disconnect the large vacuum hose at the booster and plug it. See if the hissing noise goes away. The engine should now run smoother and not run rough when you step on the brake pedal. Remember...you now have NON power assist brakes.

10

Thanks for quick turn around. I will do it tomorrow and update you accordingly. However just to let you know that i did not have any stalling after egr clean up yesterday i draw almost 80 mile after EGR clean up and tried to generate stalling by pushing break immediate so other end i am thinking to drive more and will see whether problem appear again.

OK...nice job. Suggest you put the Brake Booster on the back burner for now. Good Luck.