2000 Toyota Corolla won't start, how do I investigate what the issue is?

Asked by Jul 08, 2014 at 10:04 PM about the 2000 Toyota Camry

When I don't drive my car for 2 or more days it occasionally will have a hard time starting
(absolutely no engine sound when I turn the key). Once I'm able to get it going, drive for a
while and they park, I don't seem to have an issue trying to start it again. The mechanic
said it was the battery, I got that replaced 6 months ago but I'm still having the issue and
it's getting harder to get the car to start.

64,415

Weak fuel pump,or need,s fuel filter replacement.

38,355

If you turn the key and you hear absolutely nothing then your starter is bad. As in no cranking the engine over at all. If you have to turn the key 20 times or put cables on it to get the engine to turn over, replace the starter.

I took it to autozone to get the battery tested and they said the battery, the starter and the alternator all passed their diagnostics and showed no indication of a problem. Could it still be the starter?

3,065

Clean cable ends and ck battery again Trust me get a code stableizer for lighter Hold radio code and computer Code to change ends

Thanks so much for all your responses!!! 01bigjon - I checked the battery at two different places and they both said it is good. What is a code stableizer for lighter? What do you mean by hold radio code and computer code to change ends??

3,065

Yes it's a lot Easter than resetting everthing

3,065

Plug it into lighter with battery 9 volt

3,065

You might have got the starter hot lock up blew main fuse engine Compartment fuse box or see relay also in those boxes up in engine Room if fuse is broken replace and cl again also ck cold start injector And time switch. Time switch maybe ck ohms on that. And also ck coil Does it run worse in the rain they get hot and crack moisture collects And shorts out spark pull plug and check spark it schould be all the time Fast spark let me know

3,065

Recheck battery you have to use same scenario at auto zone to check battery alt is charging battery is going bad you schould repeat scenario Sit for colupledays take it to do recheck right away then get a new bayttery. Free

10

hi Jelly10, Did you figure out the problem. I have 2000 Toyota Corolla and have the same issue. I got the battery tested at autozone 4 different times. Only one time, it showed bad and rest of the times, it passed the test. I still went ahead and replaced the battery for 110$ but I still have the same problem with the new battery :( Please let me know if you figured out your problem. Thanks in advance.

Yes, it was the starter. I got that replaced and haven't had an issue since then. The mechanic explained that either the starter works or it doesn't. This is why the car sometimes wouldn't start but when I took it to autozone they said the start was just fine - because that time that I started the car it worked fine. But it was definitely on its way out.