Blue flashing light at top center of windshield? Maybe hooked to sun roof?

10

Asked by Apr 15, 2013 at 11:35 PM about the 2004 Toyota RAV4

I just purchased a 2004 Toyota RAV 4L. No owners manual with it. There is a blue flashing light at top
center of windshield going off?  When I start the car it stops flashing.  When I shut it off it's starts flashing
again?? I have checked the sunroof and all seems to be fine?  I am not even certain that is what it is
hooked to..just guessing from the location.

maintenance required.

Anti theft. I have a blue light that flashes in my car that shuts off when started. And it's a Toyota also. It's pretty bright at night I bet? That is for when a low down potential thief lurking around will see it and hopefully not come near your car

Best Answer Mark helpful

And of you want an owners manual, service manual and much more, have your VIN# ready and go to: http://www.toyota.com/owners/web/pages/login ...register your car there and it shows service records ~on your car~~and more, you can download the entire owners manual and print it or just read it there

10

Thanks for all your feedback! It looks like it turned off at some point in the night. Not sure what triggers it or how long/when it should stay on?? I now have a dead battery but I doubt that would have caused it, but don't know for sure. I am going to get a manual so I can figure out some basics of the vehicle. Thanks again for your time on this!

That light alone will not drain your battery, it works off of a capacitor that draws very very little power and the capacitor releases the electricity it has stored, flashes the light, then recharges like a battery and repeats that cycle over and over.. How old is your battery? And are the terminals clean, tight, and free of corrosion? If your battery is more than about 5 years old, it may be bad. Depending on the quality of the battery, from a $50 WalMart piece of crap, to the other end of the scale, a $150 or more battery, it will fail and not hold a charge in as little as 2 or 3 years..or sometimes a battery will last 10 years or more. Also you driving habits. If you take many short trips, a few blocks to the grocery or Mom's house, something like that, and start the car several times a day without driving more than a few miles it does not have time to re charge. Or you may have what is known as a parasitic drain, something is drawing power that should not be. There is a way to test for that..tenspeed posted a way I will have to find it. That is a good thing you are doing, getting a book to read up on your car. I will try to find that link tenspeed knows and come back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF1gijj03_0

Ok. I just watched that video and the guy is good, he strike me as somebody that knows what he is talking about. He is "Eric the Car Guy". It's a bit long, 17 minutes but that make it compete. The 50milliamps figure is probably accurate, because if what I just said, he know what he is doing. Put another way that is 50 1000th of 1 amp. Almost nothing. A car clock will use that just to keep time. I don't know how much a red security light draws, nor that blue light ..if I am right and it is anti theft, but I really do think that is what it is, as I said my Toyota has that blue light and a red security light that blinks also..so two lights blinking all the time when car is off and locked. And I have parked my car for as long as 5 days. it might even have been 6 days when I am in Los Angeles and I drive another car while there or ride with somebody else....and don't need my car. Then have no trouble, it starts right up when time to come home. If you don't have a meter like he has, you can get one for a little as $6, but that is a cheap one and I would suggest a better one, far higher quality for more accurate readings and they are maybe $20. You can even get a test light at the Dollar store for, well a dollar. It simply lights when current passes through it, you can do the same test with it, just disconnect negative battery cable, the black one and jump from the battery negative terminal to the cable as he shows, and that will tell you if there is current flowing. Make sure doors are closed and take the bulb out of the hood light and use the meter preferably over the light.

I researched it and found out that a red led flashing light has a step down resistor that only feeds the capacitor 2 volts and will consume 20milliamps at 2 volts. An average car battery will be able to let that light flash for 5 months minimum. Absolute minimum, a good quality battery will not be consumed by that for a year or more. Blue light, same. Bottom line: You should be able to park your car for several weeks, even months and it will start.

80

How do you turn off the bluevlight

80

How do you turn off the blue light basic rav 4 2016, never turned on before 20 k miles