2005 Corolla Won't Start --

30

Asked by Sep 26, 2015 at 08:47 PM about the 2005 Toyota Corolla

My 2005 Corolla suddenly isn't starting. When it didn't start, I jiggled the wiring
at the dashboard fuse box and eventually lucked into getting it started 3 times.
Drove it (almost) home and it was idling roughly most of the way. It calmed
down and was purring by the time I made a stop... and couldn't get it started
again!

There's been no symptoms leading up to this--always started on first shot. I
ruled out battery (and tried another battery and a jump along the way) and
starter relay switch (bought, tried and returned a replacement). Also checked
all fuses and they seem to be clicking away just fine.

Any ideas on this? Guessing it's a short somewhere between ignition and dash
fuse box, but having a bear of a time finding it.

Thanks!

When you have the key inserted in the ignition switch (not necessary to even turn, just put key in) does the little red led stop blinking?

30

Hi FordNut, thanks for answering! When I put the key in, the red light goes on for 3 seconds, then turns off. Thanks!

That is as it should be. I was leaning to an immobilizer issue- inconsistent but popping up... but that tells me no. Be careful jiggling wires, you could make it worse. A longshot is disconnect the battery, (I know again) take off the Neg cable for about 5 minutes ... allow the capacitors to drain then it will for certain run rough for anywhere from 5 to..say, 20 miles. When the ECU loses power it defaults to factory settings and then when re-started will run through all the sensors, the MAF, 02, etc, it takes a while to re-learn. The advantage of this on a Corolla is you need only re-set the clock and not worry about radio codes. Other than that it may need an dealer or auto electrician. But may I ask if you have a habit of driving with very low fuel, or even wait until very near empty before getting gas?

Best Answer Mark helpful
30

Yep, I usually drive it around a while after the light comes on. What's then thought there? I'll give the negative terminal another shot. I tried that yesterday, but no luck.

Fuel pump. The gas is the coolant for the pump, that works hard to supply 40 +/- 5 psi to the fuel rail. When the pump is not submerged, it will get hot. (not hot to the point of being a danger of igniting the gas) but that is why I asked. Could be beginning to fail. They don't necessarily just quit but grow weak when overheated. I don't mean to lecture, but that is a bad habit. Even after you re-fill, the damage has been done

Rent/borrow/buy/steal a fuel pressure gauge. There is a schrader valve on the fuel rail ...looks very much like a tire stem. Should be at least 35 psi.

30

Dad, is this you? Just kidding, I appreciate the lecture :) I tried the battery again, no luck. Also looked again at my fuse box, still see nothing amiss. I'll check the fuel pressure like you say and get back to you. Thanks!

Of course just kidding on the 'steal'.. You can 'get away' with running it low on fuel many times. I'm not saying a single indecent of running low will burn up a pump. That would be a severe design flaw. But repeatedly running it without pump submerged will eventually wear on it

Oh wow incident not indecent..my spell-check did that.

Please do. If it tests low, the pump is accessed by taking out the back seat, you do not have to drop the tank. But it could also be fuel pressure regulator