Why is my park gear acting like neutral?

Asked by Jun 28, 2007 at 12:45 AM about the 1990 Chevrolet S-10 Blazer

My 1989 Chevrolet S-10 Blazer does not stop when I put it in park. Rather, it acts more like it is in neutral and I have to put the park brake on to keep it from rolling away. It didn't use to be like that and the problem arose when I was at school, so I don't know when or how it happened. My father thought it might be the linkage, but I discovered today that it wasn't. I need to get it inspected soon, so I need to know what the problem is and how I might fix it.

Sorry to say that your transmissions (and transmissions in general) do not have a "park gear", but a pin that protrudes due to the position of your shift lever. It's the combination of the shift lever position and the position of the output gear notches that holds the car in place while in partk. If the protruding pin and output shaft notches do not line up immediately then your car roles back until they do line up. Here's a website that explains the mechanism in great detail. http://auto.howstuffworks.com/automatic-transmission5.htm If your transmission works fine except when in park then I would suggest examining the mechanism that forces the protruding pin into the output shaft housing.

My blazer did that too. Some times i just jam it in a little harder and its fine.