why won't my chevy s10 4.3 v6 start after running it a while

170

Asked by Aug 26, 2013 at 09:46 AM about the 1991 Chevrolet S-10

After running my truck for awhile I shut it off and then have to wait for sometimes over an
hour for it to start again I have changed the coil pickup and put ne distributor cap and rotor
on it

9,725

Distributor and pick-up will assume it is a TBI engine. When it runs does it run smooth. Check the piggy back plug on the coil make sure they are connected, check both external plugs on the ignition control module and the pick-up inside the dist. Maybe clean the terminals and you could try dielectirc grease. When it does quit (the next time) pull the air cleaner of and see if the injectors are spraying fuel. If it doesn't spray fuel while cranking over 400 rpm than your ignition module is shot or you installed a faulty pick-up coil. If it's a vortec it has a cam position sensor in the distributor and check for the same isues as above. Wiring is a little different though. Usually when the ICM goes it goes but I suppose a partial failure could happen even. Ensure you use heat sink compound on the module when installing it on the dist plate or you'll cook the new one in no time.

170

Thank you for your input I will try all of the above and see if it corrects it again thank you

170

It does run smooth when it runs and it will run forever after it's started it's just when you shut it off it takes an hour or more before it will start.

9,725

Next time it does it let me know if the injectors are spraying fuel when it is cranking. Thanks

170

will do

170

I check the injectors and they aren't spraying fuel when it is cranking but if I let it sit for awhile it will start right up no problem.

9,725

Ok so I would lean towards the ignition control module if all the above wiring looked good. It takes the input from the pickup coil, converts it and sends it to the PCM. It must be getting warm and failing. PCM doesn't fire the injectors untill it sees the crank signal via ICM. Buy one, even if that is not the problem the ICM fails frequently and randomly. Ensure that you use heatsink compound between the ICM and distributor plate.

Best Answer
170

thank you again for the info much appreciated

9,725

When my ICM's go they go. Let me know if that was the issue or a loose wire. My '92 used to eat them. I have not drove that thing as my primary in 3 years and there is still a new ICM in the door pocket. Usually you can pick up 4x4 4.3 s-10's around here for 300.00. 90% of the time it's the ICM. So for 90.00 extra you have a hunting rig or field bomber.

170

The ICM did the trick was 58 bucks and ten min fix thanks again

9,725

Perfect. That's cheap. I need to start using Rock Auto more, the parts up here in Canada are expensive

10

Fire order 1994 Chevrolet blazer s10

20

I got a coworker that's having the same problem we pulled the idler air control valve and removed gunk from it it ran but a little bit later he had a hot start problem again and wouldn't start til it cooled off

It only does this if i run the ac otherwise it starts right back up.

It only does this if i run the ac otherwise it restarts easy.

20

When you say won't start, do you mean won't crank or wont fire up and run. 91 s-10 blazer v-6 and we are having intermittent no crank issues which I don't think are starter related. no click no anything, but battery is charged and good.

I have a question about a 1991 Chevy S 10 V6 four-speed the minute I start the truck it runs fine I can drive it anywhere the minute I turn the lights on it kills the whole truck please help me I am in dire need to figure this out

Same issue with my 97, changed the ICM and I guess it is going out again. I didn't put the heat sink on and I probably should have.... made it a month or so