how do i repair driver door mechanismon 1994 chev 1500. wont open from outside

Asked by Jun 17, 2012 at 12:58 AM about the 1994 Chevrolet C/K 1500

the driver door on my 1994 chevrolet 1500 wont open from outside. how do i repair it

237,735

Sounds like the handle or the linkage to the handle is broken. You'll need to get in the truck from the other side, see if you can open the door on that side and take the the inner panel off the driver door, to access the linage to repair the broken components.

1,735

Since I don't know if your 1500 is equipped with power door locks or windows I will go with the assumption that it does not ... With the door open, you will need to remove the inner door panel. The window crank handle is held on by a clip on the back side of the handle. The door panel will be held on by clips that are attached to the back of the door panel and are pushed into holes on the door. Once you get the door panel off, and you are able to see the inner workings of the door, you will see a series of metal rods -- these rods are the linkage between the interior door handle and the latch, between the interior door lock button and the latch, between the exterior door key lock and the latch and between the exterior door handle and the latch. For one reason or another, this linkage ( between the exterior handle and latch ) is disconnected, The interior of the handle may be broken, the latch may be broken, the small clip that holds the linkage at both ends may be broken or missing or, the rod may have just worked its way out of the clip and fallen out. It would be impossible to describe how to identify which of these conditions is the cause of your problem or what you will need to fix it ( may need to replace the latch if it is broken, replace the exterior handle if it is broken or, just replace a missing / broken linkage clip and reconnect the linkage ) but, it IS one of them and, it is neither an extremely difficult or expensive repair but IS time consuming so, make sure you have a few hours with nothing else to do, take your time and make sure you pay attention to how things came apart. It will make it ALOT easier when you are putting it back together. Hope this helps -- Good Luck !

95

both above answers are right sounds like your linkage ive have to fix it twice now

35

My handle broke(outside of door) and he is right-make sure you have a few hours to do this. I couldn't get the lock cylinder out so I went to our local locksmith and had new ones put in. I was able to pull the panel out to get to the one bolt-I didnt have to remove all the inner workings of the door. I might add that I have manual locks and a crank window- need a special tool to remove the clip on the crank. It's time consuming but I had to replace cause I was tired of reaching over and opening it for my passengers. I regreased the gears while I had it tore apart. '89 Chevy C1500 2wd 305ci.

130

You guys have no idea. So how do you remove the under panel so you get at the linkage....

130

I have a 96 chevy 1500 auto windows and door locks my door is shut and both my handles are broken. I can not open my door to take my panel off to fix it. How can I get my door open?

20

Zach96chev, I have the same problem, only a little different. My mom broke the key off inside of the door lock so now my door will not open bc it is somehow stuck in the lock position. I tried to unlock it from the inside with the auto door lock switch, it's jammed. I also tried to turn the lock with a screw driver since the key is in the lock. I pulled most of the door panel off on the inside, but can not get the whole thing off bc of the seatbelt there's no space to pull the bottom part of the panel out. I went to a few different people they said I had to drill the lock... I don't really want to do it that way, is there any other method of opening the door so I can take the lock out and replace it.