My taillights and dash lights went out while changing my license plate light I shorted something out but now I can't get them back on I found a bad fuse and fix that what else could it be? It's a 1996 ChevyHalf Thone truck

430

Asked by Oct 02, 2014 at 07:53 PM about the 1996 Chevrolet C/K 1500

105,355

You could have 2 fuses on that circuit, did you check both fuse boxes?

430

I found a bad fuse in the box in the side of the dash but I didn't find a bad fuse in the box under the hood

430

What the dash lights be on the same fuse as the taillights?

430

Would sry

105,355

Yes. Dig out your test light and double check your fuses, one maybe open circuit but not look like it. If you don't find anything, then you need to test for power coming out of the headlight switch that feeds the tail lights.

430

Yea none of my running lights or my tail lights or my dash lights are working just my headlights and my brake lights work

105,355

That's why I suggested to go to the headlight switch to do the testing.

430

I will thank you

430

I think that's what it has to be

16,555

Make sure you shored out is fixed. Check the ground wires also. If you don't have a solid connection to ground, you will not have a completed circuit. Do you have power past the last fuse? If so, check the wire coming into the first light. If you have power there, it just may be a ground wire broken or burned out. How did you short out the light when replacing the bulb? Was it in the plug-in socket? If so, clean it out with a shot of WD-40 and a small tooth brush or even a small pick to scratch the metal to make contact.

20,015

The tail lights and illumination for the dash are on the same fuse and use the same switch. It's one of those

430

Thanks guys it was the fuse it looked ok but checked it with a test light it was bad

Hello guys, I just traded Joe a car for this pickup. After the swap my tail lights & dash lights went out. Joe said to squeeze the wires into the switch and it would come back on. Looks as if it has been cleaned but there is a dark mark inside the end of the clear plastic casing at the base of one wire on the switch. I have squeezed but no luck. Thought since squeezing worked before it might be the switch rather than a fuse or ground? Also, how can I fix the emergency brake release... it looks like an exposed spring that is under tremendous pressure. Bit a friend who released it for me 1st and last time I set the EB. Also the fuel injector would it make 1st & 2nd gear choppy on take off when it's cold?

30

I just went through the same thing had to replace the turn signal switch had three broken wires one being my tail lights and when it shorted out it fried the head light switch as well. I replaced both and all is good. Hope this helps. I have tilt wheel and it destroys the wires on the tss also causing my low beam head lights not to work

10

My 89 chevy dash n rear running lights aren't working either. I checked the fuses n they seem to be fine. Maybe it's the turn signal switch, but any advice would help.

20

you wouldn't happen to remember which box that fuse was into you I have the same exact problem dash lights and tail lights I just need to change the fuse could you possibly tell me where it's located

100

I have the same issue 99 k3500 changed all the fuses, and still no dash or run/ cab and tail lights. Headlights, Hazards, dome lamp, and brake lights work. Any suggestions? Thanks

Ha Joe do u remember what fules it was..