my 4 wheel drive isnt locking in.

Asked by Jan 06, 2014 at 02:05 PM about the 1997 Chevrolet C/K 1500

i put it in  neutral push the 4 low button the transfer case locks in and it runs in granny low gears but the front end has no power.when i try to put it in 4 hi it does nothing no noises ,shifting,locking in nothing.ive been told it the actuator but im not sure..i need help diagnosing the problem.ive been working on my own vehicles for a lil over 3 years but have never ran into a problem like a girl i need my 4 wheel drive back badly.thanks for your help.

There is an actuator on the front end for the 4x4. It sounds like that is the problem because you hear the transfer case is locking in.

X2 front axle actuator

Well thank you for your help but it wasn't the actuator in front as I had replaced it already anyways it turns out to be that it was my transfer case shift motor I replaced shift motor n fixed the problem first time doing it and it is a pretty simple job thank you

Take the actuator out and stick a nut and washer make sure the washer makes contact with the metal part on the actuator then just screw it back in and put it in 4wd and u just saved like 90 bucks.

Hey guys I just bought a 97 k1500 and the four wheel drive quit on me I replaced the front actuator I can hear the transfer case motor work and I jacked up the front end and can still spin the front tires but can not spin the shaft going into the front end so idk what to do I wanna fix it myself and save money but idk what else to try

I still don't go in 4 high put motor on trans case 4 low work. Now what wrong

i had the same thing I replace front Actuator and put 3 washer in here,put sometime work then pop out but I Can put it in low 4x4 put won't lock put it in low, but no light on.. , same way in high a another switch that to be changed in the back on top of the transfer case