No low end power

185

Asked by Feb 08, 2010 at 01:51 PM about the 1997 Chevrolet C/K 1500

I have a '97 k1500 with a 350 and 4l60e automatic.  Assuming all things are OK with the truck, would a bad fuel pressure regulator cause it to have no power at low rpm's?  It always bogs under acceleration, wont peel out even when its wet, and must downshift to gain speed on the highway  (but it still runs at the normal rpm range when on the highway).

75

do you have larger than stock tires and mighgt check the exhaust for leaks

115

check the ignition timing. you have to find the spout connector to force the computer to stop advancing the timing and set at base then make sure the engine is at operating temp and idling properly. then find your timing marks with the light and adjust it if needed.

185

alright, the exhaust is cutoff under the extended cab just past the cats, so its got low backpressure and that does rob some power but this power loss is recent. There is an exhaust leak near the manifold, but Im not sure if its enough to mess things up like that either. Now what in the world is a spout connector? And wouldn't the engine run horribly across all rpm's if the timing was off? Thanks Yal

115

poor timing has the most effect at idle whereas at higher rpm more advance is needed anyways. a spout connector is basically a small plastic plug that acts as a jumper. its in teh wiring for the distributor. some are by the dist, some by the ignition control module, and some by the pcm under the dash. check a service manual.

75

check the fuel pressure regulator and the fuel pump it could possibly be a clogged fuel filter but thats unlikley but a good idea to change it anyway

185

the fuel filter i replace last summer, so I doubt its clogged, when I have time Im going try to check the timing and look for this spout thing. Ill probably go ahead and replace the fuel pressure regulator anyway though, someone told me that I should replace it anyway (ive got 185000 miles). If the timing's bad though, dont I have to take a bunch of crap apart to change it then put it all back together and recheck? It seems like this could take a few millenia to do. Or is it simpler than I think? And you said something about idle, I think my idle is ok because it idles normal (smooth, 600rpm), but at times it has been going in to high idle more often, maybe because its been cold down here. The power issue is more notable at accelearation, especially hard acceleration, and I've notice my gas mileage has gone to hell lately too, on a recent road trip and a little bit of in town driving I got 15 mpg, where Ive gotten over 17 on road trips before. Thanks for the help yal!

35,665

if your timing chain is worn bad enough to make it run bad under acceleration then the truck would backfire. i changed the timing chain on my pickup in 6 hrs on a saturday not a big job

370

i have the same problem with my truck. its way bogged down during acceleration and one above the speed of 35 it has power again. and wont peel out, at all. did u ever figure out what was wrong? please let me know, thanks. my email is levi98168@yahoo.com, let me know if u figured out the problem please

145

i had a 94 350 that would act like it stalled when accelerating from a stop and ended up having to replace the egr valve, as for the burning out, re adjust ur timing but find haynes repair manual for ur truck some chevy's have an electronic timing advance which requires u to un hook a wire under the dash. mine wouldnt burnout till i got the timing dead on!!!!

280

Did anyone figure it out cause I have a 92 Chevy k1500 that won't peel out... I can floor it going up a hill and it will go about 35 mph don't like that and want it fix asap thanks I'd anyone see's this and replys....

185

Wow I found this post on accident, forgot about it after two years. Power has come and gone and I've since swapped engines and done other things. The MAF sensor and fuel pressure regulator were replaced and I have a feeling those were the culprits. MAF is expensive though, find one off another car, because I don't recommend anything other than factory equipment. Also not a bad idea to do a serious cleanup on the entire intake system and and run SeaFoam every once in a while. About the 94 and 92 trucks, it may be different problems; the 96-99 4th gen trucks have a different fuel injection system (Vortec SFI vs TBI) so they have different things that can go wrong with them.

235

I have a 95 gmc the wire ur talk about unhooking. ive unhooked and set timing and then hooked it back up after i do tht the timing advacnes 28 degrees and in neutral in bogs down in acceleration. i have replaced everything on the top end is new except push rods rocker arms value springs. please help im lost now.

35,665

Have you checked fuel pressure? Knock sensor will advance timing to prevent knock and if you're fuel pressure is low then it will run lean and knock causing the ignition to advance until it can't.

35,665

And it won't have much power

270

I have a similar problem only thing is my truck runs great until it warms up after warms up and I sit at a light and I take off when it shifts it wants to bog down can somebody help me please

150

Havin same problem, I have no fault codes yet one day my truck has lots of bottom end power and the next day it does not. I noticed the warmer weather seems to rob the power from it. 1998 5.0 vortec

170

I have a 1989 gmc sierra with a 350 TBI. I have also experienced lack of low end power lately when I take off from a stop. The timing, fuel delivery, even compression all checked out. The engine runs smooth at idle, no backfiring, no missing. It bogs until I hit about 35 mph and then it takes off and it takes off quick!! So..Could it be the torque converter??

160

IF THE ENGINE TEMP GUAGE OR TEMP SENSER IS NOT WORKING IT WILL RUN BAD BECAUSE THE COMPUTOR HAS NO WAY TO KNOW ENGINE TEMP To Adjust The Timming RESULT BAD LOW END POWER AND BAD GAS MILEAGE

160

I changed dist cap/ rotor/ plugs /adjust timming manually/changed to the new and improved spider on my 1998 3500 to no avail. changed out the temp senser and all power plus was restored... MY 1998-C3500 1 ton Get 25mpg on HWY 29 city with my other Mods

190

I have a 88 k2500 I have good idle and rev up in park it's very responsive but put in gear and gradually try to bring Rpms up with foot on brake and it bogs out almost stalling I release throttle and goes back to idle just fine any ideas or help please?

40

I had the same problem. No low end power untill I hit about 35mph then my engine seemed to wake up and scoot. 1998 C1500 5.0 A friend had the same problem and recommended changing the fuel injectors or spider as they call in on Chevy engines. I did, and the change was amazing. Try that, it's not cheap but def worth it. Make sure you upgrade to an MFI unit. This is the one I used. http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/BWD0/63886/02521.oap? year=1998&make=Chevrolet&model=C1500%2BPickup%2BRWD&vi= 5013350&ck=Search_02521_5013350_-1&pt=02521&ppt=C0024

90

98 z71 ran fine yesterday, got up this morning and at about 50 to 55 mph it has a skip or something. So anyone got anything

30

I have a 1992 Chevy Silverado 1500 4wd the 4wd trying to work but it ain't I just want to know what that problem can be!!! Thanks

60

I had the same problem. In my 1997 5.0L V8 K1500. Was caused by a number of things. First was a clogged catalitic converter, I replaced that to just a piece of pipe. Then you have the issue of throwing codes. Saying catalytic failure circuit bank two. Just put a spark pug de fowler to stop from throwing codes. The over issue was the cap and rotor was old, plus with new plugs and wires and distributed, made a large improvement to power. A lot more throttle response, and a lot better sound as I later changed muffles to a thrush turbo.

180

My truck Boggs down and losses power and if I try to get on it.It won't go like it should at all could it be Cadillac converter stop up or fuel fitter stopping up or spark plugs and wire I really don't know at all

180

Also my gas gauge don't work at all I check the fuse and it's good so I don't know anybody know what my problems are or could be

35

about a year ago i was driving my 97 5.7 vortex chev trk and it began to surge and bogg down , let some shaddy mech mess me around because i was broke down on the road they replace all the things that have been mention filters sensor checked timing ect. still wouldn't run right later they did a cylliner check and the left side had extremely low pressure around 30 lbs so had to replace the motor so before you let someone replace all these expences parts check the compression i learned the hard way spend $800 trying to fix a bad motor

80

Hello, I'm having a really bad problem with my 1996 Tahoe 350 vortec. It runs really rough at idle and under rpm's 1-5000. The performance is horrible. White smoke comes from the exhaust all the time, it has hardly any power at all. It misses and backfires all the time. It stalls out alot when under a load, it was running great one day and then went to start it on a colder day. And it's been running 100℅ different ever since...it also constantly smells like raw fuel all the time! Rather it's at idle or moving down the road. The EGR valve is new, cap, rotor, plus, wires, fuel injector spider, new injectors, new computer, fuel filter, and several other new parts that I cannot remember off hand. But the engine has 280,000 miles on it. If anyone out there can PLEASEEEEE tell me whats wrong with this thing, that would be great, if anyone has any questions or helpful information, email me at greenbrian351@gmail.com. thanks.

20

All, I have a 98 GMC z-71, 350eng 295K miles, New tranny, Transfercase, Fuel pump & filter, all new exhaust from Manifolds back by Magnaflow, New o2 sensors. new waterpump, timing chain and distributor all within past 12 months. most recently I have lost all low end power, the truck idles fine and runs highway speeds fine but misses and sputters at takeoff upto 35-45mph. occassionally it feels like the truck is coughing when driving long distances where it will just do it every 20 minutes or so. Engine code says its running lean. Any ideas?

40

Check your timing

20

Truck has been tuned up since this started happening, plugs, wires, fuel pump, air and fuel filter, truck smells really rich. Runs ok at highway speeds but no low end power timing I'm at 36 degrees of timing. Starts easy . But again running really rich... any ideas...

I have a 2005 1500 same problem real sluggish at take off I changed air filter,fuel pump,tps sensor,cleaned throttle body,cut out cats,plugs,wires,checked timing, and o2 sensors come to find out it was a $40 map sensor easy to change out wasent throwing any codes I changed it a and it was like tha truck was new again hope this helps