My 99 suburban Ecm-1 fuse keep blowing

Asked by May 18, 2010 at 09:11 AM about the 1999 Chevrolet C/K 1500

4,675

you may have a possible short on the wire supplying power to the ECM or any actuators and/or its circuit that is short and feeds on power through the ECM-1 fuse. When does the fuse blow? for instance when you initially turn the ignition switch to on, or during cranking or while the engine has already starting and running.

230

i have a 97 suburban that on vacation i blew 2 ecm fuses(while driving) and when i reached destination i hit a speed bump and everything went out, not the fuse, would not restart after that....the camshaft position sensor and the pickup coil have been replaced but still not starting

260

having the same problem it happens when I turn the ingnition on, no starting needed

470

I am having the same problem with my 99 gmc suburban. As soon i turn the ignition switch the fuse blows. I dont even have time to try to crank my sub. just have to turn it enough to on and the fuse blows every time. Any suggestions?

850

mmmmmm try checking all grounds are tight and clean. Try auto zone or a haynes manual and see if there is any info on injector resistance, and coil/ dist resistances etc.. some sesnor is probalby drawing way to much! Also check the wireing for shorts especially where is passes through tight spaces and were it is close to moving parts or exhaust. I wouls suspect that it may have blown your computer? Good luck

245

ecm power wires on passenger side of engine ground out to the exhaust, pull awasy, and check for damage, my 97 kept popping fuses, and this fixed it

590

I have a 2002 tahoe. Blew the ecm1 fuse. I replaced it it started right up. Untill I put it in drive then it blew the fuse again. It did this about 5 times. Then it started blowing the fuse as soon as I turned on the key. I tried about 20 fuses it kept doing it. So I left it for the night went back in the morning and put a fuse in it started right up and has been good for two days. I am planing a long trip and don't trust it. Any ideas where to start. To find what the problem might have been. Thanks

110

i understand this is old however so is my tahoe. i had this happen to me yesterday on the freeway. my wires fell off below my alternator and were cooked on my exhaust manifold. i just hope this helps some one some day.

100

Was going 80 down the freeway when truck just turns off... Finally after a day of searching and replacing, fuel pump, fuel pump relay, and ECM. I found where wires were glued to exhaust manifold just below the alternator. Only one wire looks cooked... Replaced fuse and did NOT blow for the first time after 5 fuses. Now that this seems to be fixed, why won't the truck start? The fuel pump still won't start. Wft?

110

cut the cooked wire and replace the section of it thats cooked. inside the conduit there's 5 or 6 wires. mine were actually melted together and grounding each other out. just because it looks like only 1 of the wires is damaged take the time to check them all out and replace what needs replacing. chances are its not shorting out any longer but one of the wires is completely cooked (they're all color coded super easy)

50

Having problems with 95 tahoe. When turning ingnition on... fuse blows. Replaced starter and just replaced ignition switch. Fuse 50amp Max continues to blow. Anyone else had a problem like this?

30

My ECM-1 fuse would blow occasionally while driving down the road. After putting a new fuel pump in and chasing the wires back from the fuel pump I realized this wasn't the problem. After a couple hours of searching I found that my wires were burned to an EGR tube on the drivers side near the rear of valve cover. This is a huge cluster of wires that are coming from the fuse box. The heat cloth had worn through and the wire lum rested on it burning through the insulation on several of the wires. I hope this helps someone else save some $ on a shop bill.

10

maybe this will help someone Lost power to fuel pump relay,kept blowing ecm1 fuse Found melted wires under alternator causing the troubles

I have a 97 Tahoe I just pulled the motor out of it and put a new motor in it hooked all the wires up went to crank it and it blew the ecm fuse twice and its not getting any fire to the plugs can anyone help me with this???? PLEASE

100

I have the 97 suburban with a vortex engine... Wires were glued to exhaust manifold just under alternator. We also replaced emc unit and had to take to dealership for them to reprogram. They said wire harness failure is common and wires get fryed in exhaust manifold. Look on exhaust manifold for burnt wiring.