Sliding door fell off-anyone else having this issue?

Asked by Feb 19, 2010 at 06:15 PM about the 2007 Honda Odyssey

There was a grinding noise which started on our driver side power sliding door a couple days ago, then today, when opening, it fell off the track causing substantial body damage.  The dealer said the center roller broke, and the other side is also worn out.  The van is only 2 years old, but at 40K out of warranty, and the fix without the body work will be $400.  When I asked if this is a part which I can look forward to replacing every two years, I didn't get much assurance it wouldn't.  Anone else having this problem?

30

I have a 2005 and our door fell off too! It is an obvious manufacture problem. We were in am support parking lot about to catch a flight! They van was in excellent condition but as you said, there is much body damage now.

30

Spell guesser strikes again. That should say we were in an airport parking lot, about to catch a flight.

10

I had a 2008 Odyssey and the driver side door fell off in 2011. It was all the way open and then fell out of the track and left three "Wolverine" claw marks down the side of the body. And of course it was about 6 months out of warranty when it happened. I was on Vacation 8 hours away from home and the dealer I took it to made it sound like a common problem, "we tend to keep those parts in stock" I dumped the Van and took a loss, I was pissed.

10

I forgot to mention that I had the grinding noise too, but every time I took it in to the dealer they told me that it was a kids toy, dirt or grime or they didn't find anything wrong. The Fix without the body damage was about $500 for me. The body work they wanted about 3-4k.

20

Had a 2008 where I heard the grinding noise described and the door fell off -- warranty repair. Turned that in last month for another -- a 2012 Odyssey and door just fell off -- no noise, just came off the track less than 2 mos old. Very frustrating.

10

2010 van, 70,000 miles and the door partially closes then bounces back - says its the roller - grrrrrrr $210/door (only getting one done now)

10

We have a 2014 Odyssey Braun wheelchair conversion van that we have owned for 7 months and have 5,000 miles on the odometer. This evening, the sliding door on the passenger side fell off, leaving our quadriplegic daughter and her friend stranded. $70K wheelchair van and Honda can't make a door that will stay on the vehicle? Dented and scraped the the side of the van, too. Unbelievable!

The door of my 2014 Honda Odyessy has fallen off twice! All I can say is that I am thankful that I am leasing the vehicle because when the lease is up, I am done!

20

Sooooo, I have heard this grinding noise on any number of occasions with our 2011 Odyssey and I always assumed it was road sand/grit that had gotten in between the track and the roller (we live in the North East and for some reason I always seem to be more in-tune with it after rain storms/lots of snow melting). I just heard about this being a known defect by Honda and had I known sooner I would have brought it in well within the warranty period (which of course, ran out just under a year ago). My question is, does Honda need to honor a repair for a known defect at no charge, even if the warranty period has expired?

Our 2010 Odyssey side door didn't want to close automatically so I tried to manually close it. I heard a grinding noise and the door fell off. It was hanging by a very thin cable. I was afraid that the cable would break and the door would damage another car or hurt someone. We were stranded in 25 degree weather for hours. When we talked to the Honda rep he told me it was my fault for trying to shut the door!! We have owned other vans and know things can break but never did I imagine Honda would make a van where the door would come off with so little effort.

10

My son & daughter in law have a 2010 Honda Odyssey touring. The door fell off and has caused tremendous damage to the car. Thankfully, my 3 & 4 year old grandsons did not open the power door. It fell on my son, but he was able to support the weight. It would have crushed my grandsons.

10

2010 LX and the driver side sliding door fell off this Sunday. Lots of damage to the siding. I had it in years ago when it started making grinding noises and they said it was plastic bearings and they have to replace to whole part, which cost $250. I refused to pay that kind of cash because Honda put a $0.50 part on a $34,000 minivan. I should have gotten around to writing the manufacturer and asking them to fix their terrible design. This is the 2nd Odyssey that had a door go bad. Now I guess I'm just going to stay away from Honda. Nice engine. Crappy other parts, I guess.

10

If anyone else has this problem, PLEASE report it on the NHTSA's website. We have this problem and it is a major safety issue. The Toyota Sienna had the same problem with their automatic doors and they did a recall, but Honda has not yet done the right thing. Please take the time to report it. The NHTSA cannot investigate a problem that goes unreported, and the more reports they get the more seriously they have to take the problem. Thank you! https://www- odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

10

Door fell off of my 2010 Odyssey. Honda told me they're not responsible for Hondas. I KID YOU NOT. https://iliedimahotmess.blogspot.com/?m=1

I have a 2016 Chrysler Town and Country wheelchair van and the top part of the drivers side sliding door came off. I have no idea what to do or how to even get it anywhere for repair.