Is crv cigarette lighter on when ignition off?

10

Asked by Jan 27, 2017 at 08:20 PM about the 1999 Honda CR-V

76,325

Yes, there should be power there.

10

Thanks, Rowefast. I have a Honda sales guy who says no. My problem is ignition key slot frozen in OFF, so I need power from cig lighter to warm key slot while ignition off. DickP

76,325

Cigarette lighter sockets are always live. Or should be. Most ALDL ports are powered from this circuit, for a scanner.

86,075

Subaru turns everything off when the key is off. Just another brilliant idea from the people who brought us engines that burn a quart a 1,000 miles from new.

10

Thanks again, Rowefast, and thanks F_O_R. Gotta move it by Monday, and for ciglighter method gotta blow $$$ tonight to get equipment in time. If ciglighter no, gotta hope do it with candles or hope my extensions reach from my window to car. DickP

86,075

What are you trying to do?

76,325

Trying to find power so he can thaw out his lock cylinder with a heat source.

86,075

I guess I should read all the posts.................

76,325

Say there DickP, you do have the battery to clamp something onto for a power source.

10

RATS. Thought I'd apply my engineering training and go out and test it. So I go out in the subzero dark and -- it doesn't have a cig lighter. Just a passive "Power Outlet" cap. Only testing item I have is a finger, and I decided not.

10

Rowefast, how go from battery to 120v/170watt tiny heater?

86,075

You would need a power inverter to convert the 12V to 120V, make sure it is rated for your heater's wattage.

10

Got answer on ciglighter/powersource outlet: NO. Manual over 300 pages, index does not list cig lighter or Power Source. But does have "Accessory Power Source." Says for it to be on, ig key must be in "Accessory" or "On" position. Key slot is frozen in neither of these.

86,075

You need a long extension cord and a blow dryer. Good luck, the other heater probably would have run your battery down anyway.

10

The equipment I could order for Monday delivery includes inverter 12v to 120v and has wattage 300 > tiny heater 170. But its 12v receiver is fit for ciglighter. How connect that to battery?

86,075

Buy some alligator clips and splice them into the cord and directly connect to the battery. Maybe you can find a cig lighter to alligator clip pig tail.

10

Got it! Found and ordered inverter 300W with battery cables for source, plus tiny heater 170W, Amazon Monday delivery. And before trying it, I'll try to reach car from window with extension cords and a Vornado 202 small-area heater I have now. Huge thanks to both of you, Rowefast and F_O_R. DickP

76,325

DickP, where is it that it is so cold?

10

Leadville, Colorado. Over 10k feet up, highest city in USA. Two highest mountains in all the Rockies are outside my west windows. But I don't think it's just the cold. It's been snowing most of the time for a month, with temp varying from around 0 to 40s with bright sun heating cars, snow-melt-freeze-snow-melt- freeze. I think it's been H2O getting into everywhere -- and then temp drop to minus 10 at night last several days.

76,325

Buddy of mine lives in Denver, I've ben out there once. Ed DuPont is his name, he has a '71 Mustang Mach 1 with a 429 Cobra Jet engine 4 gear he just got going a couple of years ago, already winning trophies at car show with it.

10

From Denver to here, cross Continental Divide twice, at Eisenhower tunnel on I-70, then south on 91 over Fremont Pass. West to Aspen over Independence Pass, closed most of year with 20' snow. East, over Mosquito Pass > 13k' no road. Photo shows Leadville from Mosquito Pass.

10

I owe you guys a jolting final report. Problem solved. Not by hour of candle before our talk, nor two hours of extension-cord powered 750watt room heater Sat. Neighbor comes by, says try wiggling the steering while as you try to turn the key. Bingo! It worked. It was not frozen. Some genius designed it so if Honda does not like your steering-wheel/front-tires position, your car will not work. Think this was designed by a VW guy who infiltrated Honda and put this in as a "defeat device" to defeat Honda? DickP

76,325

Sometimes it is so easy to over look the simplest things. Just so you know that would happen to all cars, if the wheels are in such a way as to cause tension on the steering lock, you cannot turn the key. If that happens, like your neighbor said, you turn the steering wheel to relieve the tension off of the steering lock. Glad you gotter figured out!

10

1. What's the steering lock? Sounds dangerous. When I'm driving, I don't want my steering to ever lock, or have a lock. 2. Why does tension on it freeze the ig key? Sounds unrelated and goofy, like if your passenger talks too much your brakes won't work.

76,325

When you turn your key all the way off to pull the key out, the steering wheel will lock, and only the steering wheel. Try turning it with the key out, you'll see what I mean.

10

Rowefast, you're talking about the key controlling the lock of the wheels: key out, wheels locked. That makes sense to me, EG for parking on SanFran hill with wheels turned into curb. But what caused my problem was the other way around: wheels controlling the key. If wheels in position X, key won't turn. That makes no sense to me. (Photo is my first car.)

76,325

Nice car! This still can happen if you are hanging onto the steering wheel when parking holding some resistance against the wheels. If when you are parking, let go of the steering wheel, let it rest, then there is no resistance.