Power Windows not working

Pkaiser
0

Asked by Oct 09, 2012 at 01:18 PM about the 2006 Honda Accord

I have a 2006 Honda Accord and the passenger and back power windows quit working all at once.  The
drivers window works fine and the child safety lock is not engaged.  Any ideas what would cause this to
happen?

demontoad117
385

My best guess is the motors are malfunctioning or there is a wiring or switch issue. Check the switchs, check the wires and if all else fails replace the motors

bmeck
640

its doubtful that all three motors would fail at the same time, or the switches also would fail all at the same time. but it is very possible that there is a wiring issue to deal with. you may also check the child safty lock again to make sure that that switch is ok for sure.

3,705

i have an 07 accord with the same issue..its the main switch...on the drivers side that is bad...its like $150 for a new switch...i have yet to replace mine

Mike_2013
760

Jonathan, I have the same issue with my 07 accord. The driver side window works but all other windows are not working. What could be the issue? I know you said it's the switch. Where do I find this switch?

3,705

its the switch on the door that needs to be replaced. its $150 at autozone for a replacement. ive gone to junk yards in hopes of finding an 07 accord but have not had luck

Mike_2013
760

Thanks Jonathan for your response. Could you point me to the exact switch that I need to replace? Is it located on the driver door or passenger? I would appreciate the exact name for the switch if there is any. Thank you.

3,705

it is the switch on the driver side door.. the price might not be the same in your area http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Duralast-Power-Window-Switch/2007-Honda-Accord-EX/_/N-jpn2hZ9cilb?itemIdentifier=909878_0_0_8034%2C78655

Domenic Loduca
145

My "07 did the same thing, never bothered to fix it!

maierjo
600

With my 07 accord I am having the same issue, the only working window is the drivers and no other window works. When I try and lower the window for the back I can hear it trying to go down by the electric swtich going but it doesnt go down... Any advise? I dont want to buy 3 new motors and wondering what I should do.

johnboy0205
430

I have a 2007 Honda Accord the driverside window works but other 3 windows dont, but when u hit the master switch on drivers door to try to roll other 3 windows down you can hear the switch click at the switch on the door ur trying to roll the window down at.

dosteen
120

I had the same problem with my 2007 Accord and foud that the problem is the child protection switch in the master window control unit was not resetting. Since this is not readily repairable, I ordered a used replacement from a reputable supplier ($90 new is $250) and changed it out. The fix worked perfectly except that I had to reprogram the keyless entry.

Joshua Garms
30

Dosteen: what is the name of the reputable supplier you're referring to?

3,705

i went to the dealer in my area, i live in southern NH and it was $180 for a new switch. as dosteen mentioned i also had to reprogram my key less entry

nono12578
45

dosteen how did u reprogram ur keyless entry?

maierjo
600

My key less entry doesn't work either after I replaced the master Window control unit

Daniel Welmon
300

I put a jumper cable from the white/green wire ti the 1st large black wire and all my windows work again. I used an old cell phone charging wire

Jeff Gauthier
300

Daniel, could you be a little more specific? Where are the two wires?

hosseroo
60

I have the same problem everyone else is having. only drivers side works bought a new master switch from honda dealer online 128.00. installed and programmed keyless entry. still no windows work except drivers. will post again when real problem is found.

WL Ferguson
50

It's the Master switch. $85.00 on Ebay or Amazon also if you Google Master Switch for ...Honda accord there is a Parts website that has used switches from Hondas and they vary in price from $25.00 -$60.00 based on vehicle mileage.

adouglasm
70

I also fixed the switch like Daniel did. Pin 1 (black) to pin 3 (white/green stripe) but I used a 15 amp fuse. and jammed it in. it was a tight fit and had to tweak the fuse a little but all the windows now work

daverACER
20

THANKS TO WHOM TOLD ABOUT THE WIRES JUMPER, FIXED THE ISSUE, I USED A FUSE IN THE JUMP AS WELL JUST IN CASE, BUT ITS A 50 AMP, ONLY ONE I HAD LYING AROUND AND PRESTO, IT WORKS, I ALSO NOTICED IN THE HARNESS THERE WAS AN EXPOSED WIRE THAT WAS TWISTED POSSIBLY IN MANUFACTURING, LOOKED LIKE A JUMPER WIRE AS WELL, HONDA NEEDS TO STEP UP TO THESE FAILURES, FAULTY WIRING, MY ONLY COMPLAINT THUS FAR ON MY ACCORD HYBRID V6 2007!!! THANKS AGAIN!!!

needle_
120

I have a 2006 Accord with same issue. For my understanding, do I use 2 jumper wires? one from pin 1 to the end of a fuse, and another jumper wire from the fuse to pin 3 in series?

daverACER
20

Yes, thats how I did it, soldering it would work better, and then electrical tape, its a tight fit under control housing so use a smaller 15 amp fuse

needle_
120

Thanks! Im thinking of using a fused jumper wire from autozone for $3.99, I hope I can easily emove the master switch and work on it on my bench

needle_
120

Does the main switch come out easily or do I need to remove parts of the door ?

needle_
120

I just checked, there is no space!!! How the heck did you guys put a jumper cable in there??? What happens with the all the pins that go into the connector when you have the jumper cable in?

Brooks207
20

I had power window issues with my 03 accord. First the passenger the driver side stopped working. I troubleshot To what I beleived was window regulator motor malfunction. dealer wanted 1150 to repair both windows. I order parts for both from 1aauto.com (for 140 total.) With 3 hrs, YouTube and a friend I repaired both windows. It wasn't extermely difficult.

Racheal Dowling
120

Do you have a picture of the wire jump you placed?

Terome Marshall
0

I had the same problem so I took Daniel's advice and now they work just fine! Thanks Daniel

Wade Williamston Sr
120

I also have the non working front passenger & rear window

Wade Williamston Sr
120

I also have the non working front passenger & rear windows. I contacted the NHTSA re this problem & filed a complaint in hopes this would result in a recall. Too many Honda owners have this same issue with their vehicles. Honda should provide the fix at no charge. Especially since the issue does result from a worn out part. This issue could also involve a glitch in the car's computer & electrical system. My problem started after using my key remote to lower my windows. As owners of these good cars we shouldn't have to jump thru hoops to get this resolved. Everyone having this issue should file a complaint with NHTSA.

cjgills
40

I ordered a switch for 65 bucks from switchdoctor.net. im going to install it today and it also cames with directions on how to reprogram auto up/down feature and keyless entry and other functions.

cjgills
40

New switch fixed the problem. MAKE SURE YOU REPROGRAM YOUR KEY BEFORE DRIVING CAR!!! I didn't and my alarm was going off non stop

Daniel Welmon
300

I found that that after putting a new switch in (eventually) I have to be really close to my car for the fob to work. I put a new battery in and still like 2 ft max any thoughts? Wrong battery perhaps. Auto zone isn't the best

t48135
10

DOUBLE CHECK THE CHILD LOCK It may save you from looking like an ass in front of your wife and a couple of mechanics.

Cobbler
225

This works. Thanks to those above who suggested it. It didn't disable the child safety lock either. I haven't found ANY negative consequences from having done this!

makingAnAccountJustToThankDaniel
40

YES. I took it to the Honda place and they wanted 500 dollars to replace the master switch. Using this pic and the above comments as a guide, I hooked up the green and black wires and now all 4 windows work! (All but driver's side weren't working.) I also just cut up an old charger to get a wire. No soldering here - twisting did the trick. THANK YOU!

Daniel Welmon
300

Just for everyone who is using the jump wire fix.... this causes the switch to constantly draw a trickle of power from the battery even when not in use. So if you leave your car for a few days it will kill your battery. I went on vacay for a week and came back to a dead battery. Just an FYI. And to the guy who used an unshielded paper clip.... you're lucky you didn't have a car fire. Be safe

Thom Kelly
40

What is the exact switch you are doing the fix to? I assume it's in the driver side door?

Cobbler
225

No, Thom. The driver's door was the only one that worked at all. The wireover job made them all work again. And as far as draining the battery, it doesn't and I have found no negative consequences from having done it.

Thom Kelly
40

What switch did u wire over is what I am asking. Where is it?

genguy
10

Just like in the pic posted by Cobbler above, I did it and poof... like magic everything works. Don't know if it drains battery yet since I just fixed it today. Everyone should just fix this without replacing the master switch because you would have to re-prog some of the features. The thing NOT to do is to dismantle the master control switch. You can connect the jumper cable without touching/dismantling anything else. Also, to be on the safe side, I wrap all the exposed wires with plastic tape (any 99c cheap tape seem to do the trick). Shame on Honda for not fixing this despite substantial complaints.

Regal Fineboy Oakwood
40

did as the pic said and wallah... it works!

Regal Fineboy Oakwood
40

Thanks Cobbler for posting the picture it sure did help a lot.

Thom Kelly
40

Can anyone tell me where the switch is located? In the door? Under the hood? Dash??

Cobbler
225

#Thom: It's the main 4-way switch in the driver's door. #Regal Fineboy: You're welcome. Glad to help!

Donald Perkins
10

I have a 91 Honda Accord EX that I had for quite awhile N my driver side door works N my passenger side did but the back doors haven't worked, I have straight wired all three passenger windows N they work but will not work with button on each door or with driver door button have switches buttons on the three N still don't work. Can anyone give me a hint to wat has happened and also cud I try the jumper idea spoke of on this yr of car? Thanks! Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Jason Lewis
10

Do what cobbler pic says two black wires to the green and yellow wire it works, untill u have enough to get a main switch i tried it works thanks for the pic cobbler quick and easy.

Michael Collopy
20

Thank you cobbler for the picture and Daniel for the the wire over solution! As a smoker solving this problem was critical.... I own a 2007 Honda Accord. With any electrical work you should first disconnect the battery to avoid a short and blowing a fuse. I used a lighter to strip a small section of each of the wires described in cobblers picture, then cannibalized an old charger for the for the splice wire, I twisted and tightly braided the wires then wrapped them with a hardy bit of electrical tape. Be sure to insulate the wire splice with something(electrical tape wire nut rubber strip of duct tape). I believe the battery drainage issue stems from the splice becoming grounded or touching the relay itself. I have not had the battery drainage issue but if I do I will post with the problem and solution. Attached is a YouTube video for accessing the drivers side window control module. I also attached cobblers picture. https://static.cargurus.com/images/site/2015/09/2 1/21/43/pic-1879759851817501619- 1600x1200.jpeg http://youtu.be/bEzq4HrRYuI

tinadavis23
20

THANK YOU COBBLER!!!!!!!!! OMG.....OMG.... THE BLACK TO THE 3RD WORKED ....IM SO HAPPY. THANK YOU!!!!

Mata Jesus
10

2007 honda accord window switch has any one had any problems when connecting the wire together like cobbler said? Any bad notes?

Cobbler
225

8 months later and still no detectable problems, still works perfectly.

edmoore
0

Guys, Same problem with my 2006 Accord. I lowered all four windows using the key remote, and only the driver's window would operate thereafter. The other three would not work from the driver's door or from their separate door switches. Turned out I had inadvertently hit the window lockout switch; when I reset it, all worked normally. I've never owned a car where the window lockout switch disabled any windows from the driver's door, much less three out of four, but that's how the Honda is wired. Before you attempt any of the jump wire fixes suggested or buy a new master switch, check the lockout button. Closely.

Mata Jesus
10

How do you unlock the lock out switch?

Chad Mattow
0

Hey everyone I have the same problem in my 05 Accord coupe. I bought a new master switch and I was so happy that I came 3 days earlier than expected. Replaced it but the passenger window still doesn't work with the new switch. You can hear the clicking at passenger window switch. I'm so. Upset I was for sure the switch would fix the problem. I'm guess my next step would be to replace the MOTOR? HELP!