Will an inertia switch kill all the electrics in the car? Starter, dash, radio, etc.?

20

Asked by Jul 27, 2016 at 09:45 PM about the 1987 Ford Bronco II

1987 Bronco II foot slipped off the clutch peddle in traffic, car shut off
immediately, would not restart, no dash lights, no starter, no radi....reset the
inertia switch, lights came back on but went off when I tried to start it, No lights
since then. Is the inertia witch capable of shutting the electrical system off for
entire car? What else could it be?

46,205

Check to see if the battery moved and loosened the cable(s).

20

Bob, No, I was only going a couple of miles an hour, but when my foot slipped off the clutch the car naturally stopped as the tranny engaged and lurched. I checked all the connections and everything was fine and no corrosion. I did notice that in the past someone had damaged the inertia switch chipping a hole in the front plastic cover . So I suspect this was an issue with a precious owner. Whatever it is the entire electrical system seems to be off. I reset the switch several times at at one point the dash lights came back on but as soon as I turned the ignition switch everything shut down and has not come back on despite resetting and tapping on the switch.

92,705

Go with what Bod stated about the battery and cables, that lousy black corrosion can cause all kinds of stuff like you are having. The next thing to check would be the ignition switch, as it is located down the steering column close to the clutch pedal, it could have been jarred loose or is coming apart as they sometimes do on these older Fords. HTH

46,205

Inertia switch controls power to the fuel pump or fuel pump relay not the whole vehicle.